Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I had two cameras go offline recently at one of my properties.  The Devices screen showed the message “Your device is not connected”, “Make sure it’s connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.” For both cameras.

My assumption was that something weird had happened and both wireless cameras at this location had gone offline at the same time.  My Arlo Q Plus was still working as were cameras from other companies, so I knew the Internet connection to the house was working.  Ever since the 2.6.0 fiasco, I have kept V2.5.5 installed on one of my iPads so I can compare operation between V2.5.5 and V2.6.x.  When I opened the V2.5.5 version of the app, my status message for both cameras read “Your base station is offline” “Check if it is powered up and connected to the Internet”

When I finally visited the location this week, I power cycled the base station (the original version) and it connected properly.  Of course, after two weeks of being offline, my Pro 2 camera battery had 17% left and my original Arlo battery was depleted due to constant searching for the base.  I swapped the batteries for a fresh set and everything was happy.  

I added a TP Link smart plug between my UPS and the Arlo base at this location to match the configuration I use at most of my other locations, so I will be able to remotely power cycle the base station if this happens again.

However, my main point is that though the new status message is still technically correct, I find it less helpful than the old status message.  My base station was offline.  Why did Arlo developers change the status message to make it less readily informative?  Screenshots below ...

Helpful old message: Top      Less helpful new message: Bottom

V2.5.5V2.5.5V2.6.3V2.6.3

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

For remote locations I and several others recommend a UPS for the base/router and possible of adding on a Wemo outlet

so you can reboot the base remotely... it can save a trip to reset

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@TomMac wrote:

For remote locations I and several others recommend a UPS for the base/router and possible of adding on a Wemo outlet

so you can reboot the base remotely... it can save a trip to reset

Agree wholeheartedly.

I count myself as one of those "several others".  I had this base unit on a UPS but had not taken the time to add the smart plug like I had at two of my other locations.  This reminded me that I have one other base that has neither a UPS nor a smart plug and I think I'll fix that condition today.  I have all of the parts I need in my personal inventory here.

Though I somewhat cluttered my post with a few topics, my primary intent was to highlight the difference in error messages between V2.5.5 and V2.6.3 or the iOS version of the Arlo app.  The old message was more helpful.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation