Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
braamaaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Pro 2, or any other Arlo systems able to work in a standalone operation?   I do not like the fact that your only interface is though Arlo's systems, and that I can only view my camera that way on a cellphone .  Huge security vulnerability!  Plus if Arlo decides they do not want to keep their servers up and running (or cannot),  your camera system is now rendered useless.  I should be able to just log into the base station, but I cannot.  There is no web browser running in there, like a router or other IOT things have.    So you spend hundreds on a camera system but you don't really own anything.   Unless someone on here tells me I am wrong, I am going to return this and look elsewhere. 

9 REPLIES 9
dcfox1
Master
Master

Your post here and in another post are confusing about what you are stating. You can try local storage via USB. On newer Smart Hubs you can view the local storage through the app. Either way you need internet for a wireless system. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Here is the difference's between base and hubs. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

braamaaj
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'll say it another way....Can I log into the base station directly without having to go to Arlo's online service? Its a security and operational vulnerability to have to rely on Arlo's systems. Foscam and others do it that way. You need to port-forward and know your home IP, of course.
dcfox1
Master
Master

You can remove the USB from the hub and plug into a computer to view. As for seeing it online without Arlo connection no. You may be thinking how a CCTV system works. 

braamaaj
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the response. I'll be returning the system. I didn't realize it was only cloud based. Security vulnerabilities....and the fact that if Arlo goes out of business or just doesn't want to support it anymore, all you have is an expensive stapler. Amazing that people are fine sending a live video of inside their house on to the internet to some server probably located in China. No thanks!
dcfox1
Master
Master

Not sure if read the links I posted on local storage that you can use.  That does not go to cloud storage but you still need internet connection on any wireless camera. 

braamaaj
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. Actually that's not accurate, however. Some, if not most IP cameras have a web server in the camera, You need a LAN obviously, but they don't necessarily need to be connected to the internet. You connect to the camera itself. From what I've learned, Arlo doesn't work that way. Your cameras connect to Arlo's servers, and to view the video, you again connect to Arlo's servers. Huge security vulnerability. Even when using local storage. Unless you physically take the USB stick, but then you can't search to a date or time. There's no offline functionality. I get advertisements when I log into my account, so I see why.
I like their wireless and battery operated cameras but am disappointed in their cloud-based set up. It should be optional, not mandatory. My project can't accept that level of security vulnerability.
ArloCustomer2
Tutor
Tutor

Wi-Fi, based in your router, and the Internet, accessed through your modem, are completely separate. You do not need the Internet to connect to a wireless camera, or any other device in your wireless network. I think Direct Memory Access is blocked in the VMB4000 software to allow ARLO to keep control.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@ArloCustomer2  Since this thread was from July Arlo has released cams with WIFI connection with a hub/base optional. The Pro4 coming at the end of the month is that way also. 

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I think there is some confusion around what the user is asking for. It seems he wants to be 100% isolated from Arlo systems. Not just avoid cloud storage, but also avoid even loggin into there servers to acces his equipment in house.

To put it simply there are good reasons for it, but also allot of issues as well. It is more likely that the Arlo solution with local storage on the pro 3 and above base stations with 2fa authentication is more secure then anything you will do at home. It wasn't long ago all of those foscom and auch cameras got allot of flack because they were easily accessible by bad actors once put on the web with port forwarding.
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation