Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Some customers in Australia and New Zealand regions may be experiencing problems with live streaming and motion recordings not saved to library. We are working to resolve this issue, please see status.arlo.com for the latest information.

Is Powerful Router Critical for Distant Cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
larryc5a
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my 5 Arlo 2 cameras is around 75 yards from the base station and router....probably near the outer range limit but is working great.  I plan on changing my Internet Service Provider from Spectrum, which uses a separate modem and wifi router,  to Windstream Kinetic, which  uses a modem/router combination unit.  I've heard those combination units usually don't have the range that separate routers do.  

I'm not clear as to whether communition between the base station and cameras is through the router, or if the base station has its own router to communicate with the cameras.  If the new ISP sticks me with a less powerful router, am I likely to lose communication with the one distant camera?

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro2 base creates a WiFi network for the cameras only… the base hooks into the router via Ethernet.

Nothing should change for you

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation