Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Install in multi-story building for an Arlo Pro 2 system

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hakfri
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not managed to figure out how to install, and make work, an Arlo Pro2 system in a big (concrete) building. We have four floors, with some cameras om first floor and then a few on the floors above. There is no way the cameras on the upper floors will manage to make themselves visible to the base station. And if I move the base station up some floors, the cameras on the first floor will become secret to the base station.

There is a wifi system in the building. Are there ways to use that to make the cameras visible? Have not managed to find anything about that. Can I have more than one base station in some master-slave set up? Or what else?

There must be ways. But I have not managed to find any of them. The document 5568 "How can I extend the range of my Arlo system?" does not help me, it seems only to handle the base station, not cameras out of range. Arlo must have a simple solution. There are many high concrete buildings out there...  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The difference in the bases is simply the features on the base. The signal strength is the same.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@Hakfri 

The solution is to add more base stations, I don't believe there is a limit to how many bases you can have on one account), but since the base stations need to be physically connected to the router with an ethernet cable, there are several ways to accomplish this.

1) run ethernet cables to each floor and connect to each base station.

2) inline plug

3) wifi extenders that have an ethernet socket to connect the base to it

4) upgrade the router to a mesh system.

No need to have additional accounts. Simply connect the cameras on each floor to a base station on that floor. There is one downside to this, though: You will have to arm/disarm each base starion separately.

Brian

Hakfri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much, Brian. I will try your suggestion. Hope it will work, although the second base station will be an older one, one that came with our purchase of the Arlo Pro a year ago (not Pro2, that came later).

Next step might be to get a new base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The difference in the bases is simply the features on the base. The signal strength is the same.

Hakfri
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not yet had the possibility to try the solution (hence the late reply) but it seems to me that it should work. If not, you will here from me again.

A remark: Why is it not mentioned in the manual about this way to install Arlo in a big building? It had required only one short sentence. "If you ..., just add more base stations and connect them ..."

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation