Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Inconsistent motion detection

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I have had some issues since installing my system. Most of which have been sorted out here or in the support chat. But since I cannot load the pictures and videos into the support chat, I figured I’d try here. One of my cameras keeps pickup up random vehicles passing by at the last second, but you can drive/walk right up to it without being detected. Attached is a video you can see the bumper of a rig in the top right at the very begging. Also attached is a picture I took thismorning from the live stream on the same camera. It never even picked up my motion driving right up to it. Also, if I can attach it, I’d a picture of The night vision the second night after install. It’s like it took a crap for two nights. Maybe this is the cause for the bad motion detection? Or I just have a haywire camera. Let me know what you think!
11 REPLIES 11
Dannybear
Master
Master
You can’t post videos to the forum page, only links.
If the video is in the arlo library, from the App, you can share and copy link it and paste onto the post. (Lasts a day)

Can you better describe the video that you can’t add into the post? I.e. the crappy one.

Are you using any activity zones on the camera, I.e. basic or smart?
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s not that it’s crappy. It is pickup up motion clear at the street.l randomly. At the very last second. But when you are right in front of it it won’t go off. I literally drove right to it like in the picture and it never went off. I looked at the live stream and snapped this pic attached to OP for a reference.
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EEBB89841CC3DB29_201903

Here is the video of the street traffic setting it off last second.
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
And here is what the camera looks like right now. It’s like the night vision is messed up. First night it worked flawlessly. At least the picture idk about the motion detection. Now this is what the camera looks like at night and it won’t pick up motion right in front of it day or night. Only out in the street randomly.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/3A14234BB306BCBC_201903
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It looks like a lot of the IR illumination is reflecting off the side of home , washing out the picture.....

Also, since for people the camera maxs out at 25 ft for people, lower the camera to eliminate the roadway..,  eliminate false triggers.

Afte above, try and slowly increse the sense level ( 1% at a time ) till you get good results on movement in driveway

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Dannybear
Master
Master
Is the camera externally powered or battery only?

Do you use activity zones on the camera, if so basic or smart plan?

I have had some weird effects with the basic activity zones in that they will often work opposite to that intended and only a battery reset will change it back to normal.

Regards the night view shot, I think you are getting reflection of the infrared LEDs off the side of the house which is over exposing the camera.
Can I suggest repointing the camera away from the wall and down away from the street for starters.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A big issue I see is that motion is more or less directly at the camera which PIR sensors have a hard time detecting. Motion needs to be across the FOV for best detection. There's an FAQ here on best positioning practices that you should review so you can reposition the camera to detect more reliably.

Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
So what, you can’t have your camera facing anything white? And the sensitivity is obviously high enough to catch stuff at the street. About 50’ away. Why wouldn’t it catch something at 10’? Sounds like a faulty camera to me.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dsilb23 wrote:
So what, you can’t have your camera facing anything white? And the sensitivity is obviously high enough to catch stuff at the street. About 50’ away. Why wouldn’t it catch something at 10’? Sounds like a faulty camera to me.

well you can, but the light color reflects a lot of the IR and it washes out the picture...

You do have the option of turning it off and using regular lighting if there is enough.

If you thinks its the camera, swap it with another to see if the issue follows the camera or not

Morse is faster than texting!
Dsilb23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did read that they detect better side to side. The problem is that my RV pad is only 20’ wide by 90’ long. If I pointed it so that it picked up side to side I’d need at least another camera to cover the whole thing. I guess that’s probably the only real solution here.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@Dsilb23
You mentioned that it worked perfectly the first night it was installed, can you clarify further?
Can you confirm that the lens protection film is removed?
Regarding the hazy night vision, try wiping the front lens in case it is moisture buildup overnight.
Regarding the motion problem, reseat the battery to see if things improve.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation