Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

If I add another VMB4000, can it be connected to Ethernet cable that goes to original Base?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not very familiar with WiFi, routers or modems.  I am trying to determine how/what they transmit and receive so I can extend the range of my cameras.  If I understand correctly, the modem connects to a router and the router connects to the Arlo Base Station by an ethernet cable.  I assume WiFi is transmitted and received through the router.

Once the cameras are positioned and synchronized they transmit a signal to the Arlo base station that goes to the router and then modem.  If my above assumptions are correct, is the signal transmitted by the cameras to the Arlo base a WiFi signal?  I am not sure if a "range extender" increases a WiFi signal, or, if it increases a specific frequency sent by the cameras to the Arlo base. 

One of the range extender options recommended that I found from Arlo was to add another Arlo base station.  If I add another Arlo base station, can it be connected to the ethernet cable that goes to the original Arlo base, or does it need to go directly to the router?  If I can use the ethernet cable connecting the original Arlo base, how can I connect to it?  Do they make some type of ethernet splitter?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
The base station communicates directly to the cameras using the base station’s wifi 2.4ghz channel. The channel used is usually the same as the local router wifi.
The base station connects to the internet via the Ethernet cable that connects to the router.
You can add additional base stations to extend communication to the cameras but the additional base must also be connected to the router via the Ethernet cable.
If you need additional Ethernet ports you can use a generic Ethernet switch or hub.
You can also use Ethernet power line extenders that allow you to relocate the base station near a power point. Similarly the wifi extenders do the same but use your local wifi from the router if enabled.
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  I ordered a second base station so hopefully that will address the problem.  I didn't know that they made ethernet extenders.  That may make it a little easier to position the base station.  Thanks again and I appreciate your help!

dcfox1
Master
Master

Just make sure your extender has an ethernet port, not all do. I have done the same to relocate my base with a powerline extender and it helped with coverage. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation