Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

About a month ago I started recieving delayed notifications of about 20-30 minutes.  After some Googling, I thought I had concluded that the issue was likely related to the fact that I had just completed the one month trial of the "Smart" plan and my cameras were still listed under the Smart notification types.

I went in and made the cameras inactive under this heading because I no longer had the Smart plan and was OK going back to just basic notifications.  The thinking was that the delay was probably being caused by the post processing done on the server side to determine what type of motion was detected.  Since I didn't care about this, I just turned it all off.

After doing this, I no longer recieve any sort of push notification at all.  I tried adding the cameras back to the Smart notifications, but obviously cannot because I don't have a subscription.

I've tried rebooting the base station, re-syncing the cameras to the base station and re-installing the app.  I've also triple checked that the app is not optimizing battery usage and has every type of notification turned on including vibrating.  Still nothing.  The email notifications work fine and I also have no issues with any other app on my phone regarding push notifications.

For reference, I have a Pixel 3XL running Android 9 (build PQ3A.190705.003) and my Arlo app is version 2.7.12_25660.

Has any one else run into a similar issue or have suggestions on troubleshooting steps I can try before contacting Arlo directly?  I'm at work without direct access to the cameras so they won't be of any help until I get home anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

If anyone has this issue in the future, here is a brief history and what has fixed it for me (so far, fingers crossed).

I believe that me signing up for the 1 month trial of the "Smart" subscription is what caused it. 

Once I was on the plan, the notifications were delayed by a very small amount, probably due to the post processing.  After the trial ended, I was still receiving notifications, but they were delayed by 20+ minutes. 

My guess is they were being sent for processing because my cameras were still listed as "Smart" notifications, but then the system realized I wasn't a subscriber and sent them on after the fact.  To fix this, I tried to remove my cameras from the "Smart" notifications, which in turn just broke all the notifications completely.

In order to fix it, I not only had to remove all my cameras from my account, but also had to remove the base station and start from scratch.  Once everything was added back and not associated with any sort of "Smart" plan, it seems to have put everything back in working order, so far at least.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there in my same situation.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Djam311
Star
Star

I have stopped receiving push notifications on my iPhone Xs Max & iPad as of 3 days ago. I switched to email notifications and I receive these fine, just no push notifications. I have rebooted base station multiple times, reset all iphone & ipad settings, force restarted iphone & ipad, reinstalled app, but none of this helped. All notification settings on iphone & ipad are correct. I did notice a new setting on the app (Mute Notifications) & I have this set to "Off". Could this new setting be causing the problem? The cams record to my library when there is motion, just no notifications.

Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

I noticed the same setting and tried setting it and then turning it off, thinking maybe it was set but not updating?

Either way, I've toggled it on and off several times to no avail.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

Are you still receiving this issue with not receiving Push Notifications?

Sir_Atlass
Star
Star
Yes I am. I intermittently get a notification like it's supposed to do, but it is about one out of every 30 or 40 email notifications. The push notifications that I do get still say smart notification which it should not do if I do not have a subscription, correct? Either way, I'm still not getting them like I am supposed to.
Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

Here is a good example.  Recent notifications showing up in email, but nothing from the app itself.  Note that I have tried manually arming the system, but I default to Geofencing.

-Edit-

As I was typing this I got 2 more notifications on the same camera about 2 minutes apart.  Recieved two emails (one "Smart" notification, one not).  Recieved one push notification from the app, not a second.

GaryBoisseau
Star
Star
Also, there is now an unacceptable delay in receiving notifications from the app upon motion detection. Some of mine are taking 10 minutes to be sent.
Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

If anyone has this issue in the future, here is a brief history and what has fixed it for me (so far, fingers crossed).

I believe that me signing up for the 1 month trial of the "Smart" subscription is what caused it. 

Once I was on the plan, the notifications were delayed by a very small amount, probably due to the post processing.  After the trial ended, I was still receiving notifications, but they were delayed by 20+ minutes. 

My guess is they were being sent for processing because my cameras were still listed as "Smart" notifications, but then the system realized I wasn't a subscriber and sent them on after the fact. 

To fix this, I tried to remove my cameras from the "Smart" notifications, which in turn just broke all the notifications completely.

In order to fix it, I not only had to remove all my cameras from my account, but also had to remove the base station and start from scratch.  Once everything was added back and not associated with any sort of "Smart" plan, it seems to have put everything back in working order, so far at least.

Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

Once I was on the plan, the notifications were delayed by a very small amount, probably due to the post processing.  After the trial ended, I was still receiving notifications, but they were delayed by 20+ minutes.  My guess is they were being sent for processing because my cameras were still listed as "Smart" notifications, but then the system realized I wasn't a subscriber and sent them on after the fact. 

To fix this, I tried to remove my cameras from the "Smart" notifications, which in turn just broke all the notifications completely.

Sir_Atlass
Star
Star

My guess is they were being sent for processing because my cameras were still listed as "Smart" notifications, but then the system realized I wasn't a subscriber and sent them on after the fact.  To fix this, I tried to remove my cameras from the "Smart" notifications, which in turn just broke all the notifications completely.

ArloBro-7
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 4 Pro2 wirefree cameras. 2 plugged in and 2 on batteries. I only get push notifications from 2. The odd thing is that the 2 that I get notifications from 1 is wired and the other is on battery. So, the 2 that I DONT get notifications from are set up similarly (1 is plugged in and 1 is on battery).

I tried swapping (the battery ones) the one that gives notifications with the one that doesn’t and it didn’t work. I still don’t get notifications from that zone. So to be clear: the zone by my front door doesn’t give push notifications but the one by my inside stairs does. So I swapped them. The inside stairs location continued to give push notices from the camera that was by the front door and the camera that was by the stairs (which previously did give notifications) stopped giving them when it was now located by the stairs. So point being - the cameras work, but there is something off with that location and software. I still get email alerts from them though.

Please help. Thx
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ArloBro-7

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

amc011
Tutor
Tutor

I have had the Arlo Smart Subscription, and every month for 2-3 consecutive days, I do not receive any recordings or notifications, the libraries are empty, even though the batteries are full, cameras are connected to the wifi and I am intentionally walking in front of my cameras to trigger motion. Has anyone else had this experience, this is extremely frustrating. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @amc011

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

jtannenba
Star
Star

After the latest update of the arlo app, mine stopped getting push notifications.  Rebooted phone and uninstalled and reinstalled app.  Not impressed with Arlo...Not the same quality as previous Netgear equipment.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jtannenba

Is this occurring on the Android or IOS app?

ParanoidCivilia
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the same issue. I cannot get push notifications, but I do get email alerts.
bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem, no notifications, all this started when updating from the legacy app to the new app.  Great new app, geofencing no longer supports multiple base stations so apparently push notifications also are not sent out for a "shared" base station because I trigged motion on an armed base station and it recorded but did not notify me of the motion. 

Never in my 59 years have I dealt with a technology company this incompetent.  I do tech for a living and this company is about is about as bad as it gets.

idbl_fanatic1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShaneS I am having the same issue, Android, this started after I updated the app, I have since deleted and re-installed, but it is still not pushing notifications

djskyhawk
Star
Star

I, too, am not getting push notifications since app update, even my computer won't save my log in anymore.  The old app was a piece, taking several minutes to update and get status. The updated app isn't any better, in fact it is worse.  I'm thinking of throwing out these crap cameras and going with someone else.  I hate to throw out the $2000 dollars I've given Arlo, but, it's time to find a better system.

Darthbob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem after upgrading to the new app, email alerts worked fine, but push notifications stop working. 

After trying a lot of differenting things (reinstalling, read other things to try), clearing the app's data and cache fixed it for me.  It's the setting in the Android storage settings, not in the Arlo App.  Not sure if it was just clearing data that worked or a combination of things where clearing data/cache was the last step to make it work.  Hopefully just clearing data/cache will work for others.

JesseJWilliams
Aspirant
Aspirant
So has nobody gotten a solution to this? Thanks!
catlady5882
Star
Star

Since having to use new arlo app. I have not been getting notifications when camera sencors triggered and sencors not always working. I don't have a plan, never did and they worked fine before. I am disabled living alone and need these cameras working all the time. Customer service was no help.

catlady5882
Star
Star

I'm not getting any notifications when cameras go off. This new app is causing these problems. Sencors not always working either. I have rebooted 7 times since having new app. Did not resolve the problems. Hope no one brakes in and kills me because arlo app is not sending notifications !!!!

catlady5882
Star
Star

Not recieving any notifications and sencors are not always working even when I wall right in front of the cameras. Reboots everything 7 times since having to install new app. These are now a big waste of my $$$ !!!!

Discussion stats