Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ElectronicFur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I read that previous models would timeout the liveview after 30 minutes.

Can a Pro2 live-view for longer? When plugged in for example.

I ask because I would also like to be able to monitor the kids, for example when they are in the garden and I'm in the kitchen.

Also is the live-view stream local? I.e. is it direct from the camera, to base station, to app. Or does it stream from the base station, to the arlo servers on the web, and then back to the app?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since these are battery-operated cameras, the default is to save the battery by limiting live view. No way around it - it's the design spec. As such, the stream is also via the servers, not local. Only the Baby supports local streaming.

ElectronicFur
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Since these are battery-operated cameras, the default is to save the battery by limiting live view. No way around it - it's the design spec. As such, the stream is also via the servers, not local. Only the Baby supports local streaming.

But the Pro 2 can be plugged in. It even supports CVR when plugged in, so surely it should similarly be able to do continuous live view?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a function of the app/browser interface. You'd think it could keep going but the interface will time out.  The Q camera will keep going.

Gman001
Tutor
Tutor

If the Internet connection goes down but there's power to the base station, is any video still recorded on local backup storage on the base?

As the cameras are battery operated, it's a shame one can't monitor the cameras in an Internet and power failure.  It's easy to put a UPS on the basestation.  Would be a great security feature to have the cameras work in a blackout.  Simple old fashioned local video cameras with power seems like are a better security option.  😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If a USB drive is installed on the base and configured, videos will still be recorded there during an Internet outage. 

If you want to use a UPS, make sure the modem and router are also plugged into it. That way the system survives a power outage (but not an Internet outage). These cameras have never been sold as an IP camera. One size doesn't fit all.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation