Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BRMandel
Follower
Follower

How can the time lag between motion happening and recording starting be corrected?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It depends on the lag time you're seeing. 2-3 seconds is normal and can't be improved due to the need for the camera to detect motion and start the processof communicating with the server - these are battery-operated after all. If you have longer lag times, it would seem to imply poor connection between the camera and base and/or an issue with camera positioning. Make sure you read the FAQs here for best positioning practices so motion is detected as early as possible, with motion across the FOV, not directly at the camera.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@BRMandel wrote:

How can the time lag between motion happening and recording starting be corrected?

A couple of strategies. One, do you have an opportunity to provide AC power to the camera? I know the Netgear AC adapter and cable are not rated for outdoor use however while my camear is outside, it's under the eaves of the garage and is protected from the rain. My adapter is inside the garage and the cable runs to the camera outside. Being on AC power means you get 3 seconds of pre-recording on detection of motion. 

Second strategy is to either position the camera or increase the sensitivity so motion detection happens sooner when the person or car is furher away. You will get more recording. I have audio sensitivity set quite high to trigger recording on noise such as closing of a car door or the rumbling of the garage door starting to go up. That gets me some pre-recording time before the subject comes into view. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation