Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How can I keep the camera’s working when the computer sleeps or is turned off?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Onething
Aspirant
Aspirant

When my computer sleeps; the base station turns off as well; then ...also, the camera’s. How can I keep the camera’s working when the computer sleeps or is turned off? ( or shut down?)

11 REPLIES 11
brh
Master
Master

@Onething

I have never heard of that happening before. How are you connected to the base station? The base station is supposed to connect directly to your modem/router just like the computer is. The computer should not affect your Arlo system at all.

Brian

Onething
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Brian,
I have the mini Mac; so there is only one main Ethernet port for the Router access. Although I placed the Arlo base connection to the router ( it has 3 extra Ethernet sites) it still says, base and monitor is “offline”...once I wake up the computer, all the lights come back onto the base and the cameras are accessible. I don’t get it.

brh
Master
Master

@Onething

So to clarity - you have a router with 4 ethernet ports. Your mini Mac plugs into one of these ports.

Your Arlo Base Station plugs into another ethernet port.

The mini Mac goes to sleep.

Your mobile device reports that the Arlo base and cameras are offline?

My understanding is that the Arlo base connects to their servers through the router,(internet connection).

The mini Mac also connects to the Arlo servers through the router,(internet connection).

When you are at home, your mobile device connects to Arlo's servers through the router,(internet connection).

I can turn my computer completely off and my mobile app still shows the Arlo base online.

Hopefully someone that has this setup can chime in.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using a power strip for the computer and base that would cut power to the base when the computer sleeps (a "smart" power strip)? Is the router continuously powered? The base also needs continuous power.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

@Onething wrote:
once I wake up the computer, all the lights come back onto the base and the cameras are accessible. I don’t get it.

Definitely sounds like something in your setup is cutting power to the base when the Mac is off otherwise the base station lights would stay on all the time

Onething
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base will not remain on unless computer is on constant. No sleeping allowed either. Cable network says I need a static IP to keep router from “sleeping” base and turning it off.; & they want to charge me per month for it. ( Century Link) not fair. Arlo should make a product that doesn’t require cable companies to charge customer any further. May bring it back.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I guess it's possible for the ISP to supply a router that goes to sleep but I haven't seen one. I don't have a static IP address and the modem and/or router don't turn off.

However, you indicate that ALL lights on the base go off when the computer is off. That means the base has turned off. You have done something that causes the base to turn off. Make sure the base is plugged into something that has constant power, regardless of what the computer does. Use an extension cord if needed.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Just leave your Mac running 24/7 😉

Scotty59
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have just connected up Arlo pro2 through I-Phone and whenever phone goes out of work-give range base station goes offline and then when phone comes into range again it comes back online. The power light stays on but internet and camera lights go out. The base station is connected to modem via the Ethernet cable. The modem stays connected to internet as other devices work when I-Phone is out of range or turned off.
Can anybody help please.
Cheers
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Scotty59,

Your mobile device should not affect the base stations connectivity. Can you provide us with more information on how you have your base station set up?

JamesC

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@Onethingwrote:

I have the mini Mac; so there is only one main Ethernet port for the Router access. Although I placed the Arlo base connection to the router ( it has 3 extra Ethernet sites) it still says, base and monitor is “offline”...once I wake up the computer, all the lights come back onto the base and the cameras are accessible. I don’t get it.

Can you clarify what "it" is? The Arlo app on your phone or tablet? 

Any chance you are using an Uninterruptible Power Supply and the UPS goes to sleep or powers down when your Mac goes to sleep? 

Try this. Make sure the power for your Arlo base is plugged into a wall AC/Mains outlet (not sure which country you are in, so for clarity of terminology, the wall outlet where you would normally plug in a lamp or radio). Unplug the Ethernet from your base. I tried it on my base and the green lights on my Arlo 2 base are all illuminated. Let your MAC go to sleep, nothing should change on your Arlo base unit.

Also I think your ISP's comment that you need a static IP address is unrelated to your issue. Your base is going to find the Arlo servers and vice versa. 

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation