Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
QcGold
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. I have two Arlo, I would like to know how to increase the signal of my device. I live in a place where my house is 50 feet above the land so my signal does not go that far, coz of the 20" slope from the house to my land.

I thought if I bought a wifi range extender that my problem will be solved and then, I realise that the arlo need the base to work, not the wifi, and then, I read here that you can't use a TPLink wifi extender to boost your Arlo Signal.

After all that, I read that https://kb.arlo.com/5568/How-can-I-extend-the-range-of-my-Arlo-system and I am lost ! lol

I did a little sketch (see in the file).

I know I could put the base near where my slope start, but I have nothing to protect the base from the weather, I could build a waterproof box, but its start to be complicated.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks 

Untitled-1.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Wifi extender will not work as the cams link only to the base unit .

The only real way to expand coverage is to add aditional bases , but they do need as you mentioned a weatherproof area and etherent connection. This you would have to do.

The only camera that would seem to work for this would be a GO camera that work on cell service ( if you have good cell coverage ) as it doesn't need connection and is weather proof. Down side is cost and data plan

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
QcGold
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I need to set up that for a couple of weeks, not a year-long thing.

So, if I buy a wifi waterproof enclosure on Amazon and a 100" Ethernet cable that goes from my house/router to my fence (60 feet from the house), where you can see directly where I want the second Arlo (about 150" ), that could work?

I'm willing to take the risk to lose the base if there is too much humidity.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The ethernet is good for a max of about 300ft, so 100 ft shouldn't be an issue.

I have run a unit for a short time in tupperware with a vent hole / screened ( to keep out bugs )... fed the extension cord into it also for the ac.

good luck... if you get it to the top of the hill edge , it may work  without issue due to with a direct line of sight to the lower camera. Testing will tell. ( I've gotten clear line of site to a couple hundred ft ( no walls ) )

If you can post some pics to let others know how you did it

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation