Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
plumbus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am considering buying some outdoor cameras for my new home but need help on optimal placement so I can know how many cameras I will need. I think I have an idea for placement but am getting stuck on the back of the house which has a door and a lot of windows. This is a picture of the floor plan and where I am thinking of putting the cameras:

camera_placement.png

The fence on the right side opens so I put a camera above the bedroom window there to try to detect someone entering from that window or from walking into the backyard. But again, I'm still not certain on the best placement for the back of the house...

Thanks and appreciate the help!

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to add a bit more... A Q camera placed INSIDE works great with outdoor movement if there is outdoor lighting.

( pixel detection ) .

(( no pic yet on your post as it must be approved first ))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
plumbus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I hadn't considered using an indoor camera looking outside. There aren't any lights there though so I'm not sure how that would work...

I think the picture of my floor plan was approved so it should be visible now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could install exterior lighting, exterior IR spotlights or the new Arlo LED lights to provide lighting for the back. The Arlo lights have the advantage of being battery-powered and can be placed most anyplace as well as being able to trigger or be triggered by the cameras.

The back presents a bit of a problem depending on what you want o monitor - the door/patio or the whole rear with the extra "bump-out". If the whole rear, a wireless camera would need to be mounted facing the back of the house or maybe two to get the best coverage.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation