Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Got additional Base Station, does that act as WiFi extender for original Base Station?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
andywen
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I got this additional Arlo Pro 2 Base #2 installed in the other end of my home. I noticed cameras connected to Base #1 are now full Bar. Does this mean, Base #2 acts as WiFi extended for Base #1? No need to resync cameras to Base #2? Main reasons for Base #2 is my additional cameras and Doorbell.

Other question, is it normal for Doorbell and Chime and Camera to unpair themselves? Plus “paired devices” disappears via Devices? Netgear support keeps telling me to Remove and Pair again when Doorbell;Chime;Camera becomes unsync...

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@andywen,

you raise an interesting question here and I don't know if you will get a definitive answer.

My experience:

Three years ago I purchased the original base and four cameras mainly to monitor my front and back doors both from the outside and inside. Last year I purchased a Pro base and several pro cameras, removed them from the original base and added them to the Pro base and noticed that the signal strength on the furthest outside cameras would only be 1 dot and would sometimes disconnect. So I went all out and purchased an Orbi router and two satellites which I placed at either side of my house and hooked the original base back up and added some cameras at one end of the house to that one and other cameras to the other end of the house with the Pro base. All the cameras had three bars. Then I purchased the Ultra system and decided to keep the Pro base due to the built in siren. Interestingly, the Ultra base will now reach all the outside cameras no matter which end of the house they are mounted at and I get between 2 and three bars of signal strength on all the cameras. Yet, many people are reporting that the Ultra hub does not seem to have as strong a signal output as the previous bases. So, maybe you have stumbled upon something.

Ususally my doorbell will show that it is not synced after every firmware update, but all I have to do is to press the doorbell button once and it comes back online. Definitely a bug in the firmware.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@andywen wrote:
So I got this additional Arlo Pro 2 Base #2 installed in the other end of my home. I noticed cameras connected to Base #1 are now full Bar. Does this mean, Base #2 acts as WiFi extended for Base #1? No need to resync cameras to Base #2? Main reasons for Base #2 is my additional cameras and Doorbell.

No, this is prob some form of glitch/bug.... one base will not work as an extender for another. ( if you ever look they have their own ip addess and signals , also you can change the channel of the far one ( tho a pain to do )) from the router

You should sync the closest cameras to each base. ( as you know the cam can only be synced to one base at a time )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation