Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Getting no longer "compatible" with Arlo charging cord when I recently purchased a new one

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Chubbella
Follower
Follower

This company is becoming the WORST company I have ever had to deal with! My camera's were no longer "compatible" with the Arlo charging cord so I recently purchased a new one for god knows how much. It only worked once and now it's "no longer compatible with device". There is absolutely no way to contact them personally, no way to chat online as it tells me "I am not qualified to a live chat" and now I sit here with no way to use my cameras and no guidance on their side. Can anyone help or is this a lost cause? Tempting to call 3 news on your side and let them investigate this company. I think

7 REPLIES 7
Dannybear
Master
Master
What charger are you using?
BigBearSpeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same charging issues.  I got USB cables wired inside the wall and connected to Arlo original power adapters.  It has been working for years and now stop charging all of sudden.  The issues seems isolated to long USB cables to my readings.  I need cords that is 20-30 feet as the cameras were installed on the 2nd level.  Would installing Arlo solar panels be my only long-term solution?  I prefer not to have too many things installed on the exterior walls.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@BigBearSpeed

Sounds to me that it is more likely a software glitch.
As the setup has been working previously, try another battery in the camera or clean the cable and camera USB connectors with contact cleaner and soft toothbrush.

If you use activity zones or the camera preroll feature then you need to maintain the external power option that would be lost going to the solar panel.

BigBearSpeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Their new firmwares seems making it worst.  It is actually the 3rd Arlo Pro 2 went belly up on me but all have been working for a few years.  Any instruction and reference on how is the best way clean the USB ports?

Much appreciated!

Dannybear
Master
Master
I don’t believe that there is any arlo knowledge base information on how to clean the USB connectors.
Most google references use compressed air and plastic tools to scrape the contacts clean.
The most common issue with these cameras is corrosion from costal regions where salt and moisture attacks the internal ribbon cable at the socket. If this is your issue then it’s time for a new camera as the ribbon is not easily sourced.

To understand what can be achieved by cleaning the connector is to remove any film residue buildup on the pins. As the film builds up over the years and vibrations of the cable will cause a increase in the contact resistance and so cause a voltage drop. This eventually causes heat to occur further increasing the voltage drop and additional connector damage.

As a step by guide, remove the camera from the location so you can easily work on it.
While doing this check the extension cable connector for damage and inspect pins with magnifier.
Open the camera, remove battery and inspect the ribbon cable for damage or signs of corrosion at the USB connector end. Check the camera USB socket pins for same.

You can use a can of compressed air, I prefer a can of electronic contact cleaner that leaves no residue.
You can use a thin plastic scraper, I prefer a soft toothbrush to scrape the contacts to remove any film or residue. Scrape carefully multiple times in the direction of the pins so that they don’t get caught and damage the pin alignment. Flush with the cleaner.
Do the same with the external cable plug at the camera location.
BigBearSpeed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions!  I will give it a try.

I am actually considering of replacing the cameras.  However, the new generations of Arlo cameras are no longer offering free 7-days cloud recording as the Arlo Pro 2 would to my understanding.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BigBearSpeed wrote:

However, the new generations of Arlo cameras are no longer offering free 7-days cloud recording.

Correct.  They stopped doing that back in 2018 (starting with the Ultra).

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation