Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mde8965
Aspirant
Aspirant
So ordered my 4 camera kit. It should be delivered today. My questions are really just points I need to verify based on all the reading I’ve done in this forum
1) I plan to run all 4 cameras wired - I’ve read it’s fine to leave batteries in the camera to act as battery backup for power loss - correct?
2) it’s ok to plug the base into a Ethernet switch that has 5 other things plugged into it right? This is the only way to locate the base in center most part of the house
3) stay far away from Arlo Smart and CVR plans right? They are buggy at best, broken at worst. Life will be much happier if just sticking with the basic free plan.
4) most of the aftermarket charging cords work ok? I’ve seen conflicting info. I’m talking about the outdoor rated ones for outdoor camera which will be plugged in indoors 24/7
5). Front door solution. I will have one camera about 10ft high and 10ft away from the front porch at an angle. This is probably good from a motion detection standpoint. I.e. not too far that captures too much space, but not so close so motion doesn’t start video until someone is already at the door.
6) Arlo doorbell solution less than optimal and sound broken. Would like smart doorbell solution. Best options? Ring doorbell 2 sine I don’t have doorbell wiring? I just hate the idea of the $30 annual subscription. Unless it’s really worth it.

Excited to get this project started. Knowing me I’ll end up eventually have 2-3 brands of redundant outdoor cams and eventually sell ones I like least. Arlo has best feature set for my use case from what I can tell. So it’s where I’m starting this journey

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@mde8965 wrote:
1) I plan to run all 4 cameras wired - I’ve read it’s fine to leave batteries in the camera to act as battery backup for power loss - correct?

Yes. If planning for utility for power loss, though, also use a UPS for your modem, router and base so the network remains working. These are cloud-based and need the network.

2) it’s ok to plug the base into a Ethernet switch that has 5 other things plugged into it right? This is the only way to locate the base in center most part of the house

Yup. I use a base that's on a switch that's plugged into another switch.

3) stay far away from Arlo Smart and CVR plans right? They are buggy at best, broken at worst. Life will be much happier if just sticking with the basic free plan.

YMMV. You can always try them and unsubscribe if desired.

4) most of the aftermarket charging cords work ok? I’ve seen conflicting info. I’m talking about the outdoor rated ones for outdoor camera which will be plugged in indoors 24/7

While they may work, there's enough room for doubt that I'd be considering Arlo outdoor supplies or solar panels.

5). Front door solution. I will have one camera about 10ft high and 10ft away from the front porch at an angle. This is probably good from a motion detection standpoint. I.e. not too far that captures too much space, but not so close so motion doesn’t start video until someone is already at the door.

That's more or less what I have for my front door. An outdoor threaded mount would probably be the best solution for this.

mde8965
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reply @jguerdat.

As for the UPS. I have one on my router already. If I get good signal to all 4 cameras with the base sitting in my office next to the router (back of my house - concrete block construction) then I’ll plug it into the UPS as well. If I have to move it to the center of the house, then I’ll invest in a small UPS as the base will be the only thing plugged into it.

As for the aftermarket cords. I’d love to use the Arlo outdoor cord but at only 8ft it’s just not feasible. I’ll need 15-20 ft for 2 of the cameras. I could probably get away with 8ft on the others. I’ve ordered the UDOIT 25ft flat cable it gets decent reviews on Amazon. And I’ve ordered the Pavora 16.5 foot cable that has been reviewed on YouTube and Amazon that seems to get the best reviews of any aftermarket Arlo cable. I really wish Arlo would make a 15ft cable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The biggest issue for outdoors is proper weathersealing. That's been the root of many issues. Take care that the plugs are fully and properly seated so the seals can work properly.

As usual with 3rd party accessory useage, your warranty may not be useful if the 3rd party product caused the problem.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation