Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tomwebb81
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like Arlo have closed off the previous thread as it had a few comments saying it was fixed.

Slightly different scenario of it not working now, the zone is being picked up correctly now for both phones but the system is staying as armed even though we are back in zone.

Anyone else having this?

53 REPLIES 53
Tomwebb81
Tutor
Tutor

kittyuk
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo Pro 2 system - despite update - geofencing still not working correctly with one of our iPhones. Works fine with iPhone 8 but not on X. App still says the X in unavailable unless the Arlo app on the iPhone X is opened manually. Unbelievable after nearly 6 weeks that we still have a system that cost well over £800 that still doesn’t work
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Increasingly my Arlo systems prove to be UNRELIABLE for security uses. Among the problems that remain outstanding, months after first being brought to the attention of Arlo Customer Support (many others here have posted about them):

1. The Geofencing is unreliable. My systems may not set themselves up as I depart the area (if I remember to check, and bring up the iPhone app then they will finally arm). As I return the systems remain armed, producing annoying alarms until I open the App - then the Geofencing will know to disarm.

2. Cameras that do alarm record video and audio for about 14 seconds, then the moving object (person, vehicle, etc.) DISAPPEARS! All while the camera apparently continues to record the empty scene however, with active audio recording, until the 36 second mark when the recording stops.

See the video at

(PS: when I tried to link the video to this post using their movie upload script, it refused with error "You are attempting to upload a private video. A private video cannot be played in the community." What does work at Arlo?)

Great marketing for what was formerly a really good and reliable system.

Martin

kittyuk
Initiate
Initiate
Also the updated app seems to be very buggy - every time I login things are missing CVR on the two cameras I have subscribed appear then disappear - takes forever to login to the app and then get status of cameras etc!
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

The super thread got closed by Arlo on the sniff of success with 2.12.  While it does appear to have corrected the issue for me (thank you!), others are still reporting issues.  The release notes do say "fixed for most users".

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Geofencing-broken-with-iOS-13-Need-to-open-app-and-it-figures...

Main point:  Beyond that Arlo desperately need to shake up their development team and processes.  That should be the focus - not adding new features immediately.  This last 2 month outage of geofencing (the primary arming method for the system) was not isolated and the past 18 months have been scattered with long periods with critical faults in the app.  It is a SECURITY SYSTEM.  Weeks and months of critical faults are not acceptable. 

Being from the software industry the huge lag on fixes and lack of QA to me feels like a somewhat unaccountable off shore dev team is responsible?  Maybe not...  but it is decent hardware, still industry best imo!  Let down terribly by software.  That is something correctable.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks to those who submitted feedback on this issue for engineering investigation. The development team is currently reviewing this information. I will provide an update when we have more to share.

JamesC

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

I am NOT pleased that some forum administrator essentially buried this thread that I started under category of old Arlo Pro cameras. I HAVE NO ARLO PRO cameras, all mine are a variety of other models. That is why I posted this under the " My Community > Community Feedback" area.

It is exactly because of these Arlo Technologies software related problems that affect a wide range of products that some  time ago I suggested a new category (alongside Cameras for example) be created for "Arlo Software" for example.

Martin

BobsYerUncle
Aspirant
Aspirant

It worked for me for a couple of days after the app update (cameras would arm when I left home, and disarm when I returned) but it's failing in a different way now. Before the update geofencing would only detect my location when I opened the app, now it says I am out of zone at all times.

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Works great when two phones are together but with the friend at home and me away the cameras are armed. If I go to mode and edit geofencing both iPhones are checked and the friend is in zone and I am out of zone. Why is the cameras armed? Thanks

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing was working great but went crazy for no reason. I noticed it not working correctly with 2 devices so I disable the friend iPhone so I could deal with one iPhone. Arlo app is saying my phone is in zoned and it shows to be in zone on the map but the base station is arming the cameras and saying away mode.  I set the away mode to disarm and the cameras are disarmed. What is going on? Any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Can anyone explain what has happen with GeoFencing?  Seemed to be working find until a couple of days ago. To make it work I told it Away Mode was Disarmed and Home Mode was Armed. Not tested all combinations of the two phones but seems to be working now. I've included screen shots of the setup. Phones are reading in/out zones correctly and cameras are disarmed as they should be.

are dIMG_0433.PNGIMG_0430.PNGIMG_0431.PNGIMG_0432.PNG

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

I know it looks like I have the Home/Away modes reversed but I had to do that to make it work. 

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

It quit working again so I fixed the armed, disarmed modes to the correct settings and it’s working again

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Does the Arlo app have to be running in the friends iPhone for geofencing to work. I have location data for Arlo set to always. The second iPhone shows as unavailable on the Arlo app under geofencing if the app is not running on the other iPhone

Elmar2001
Star
Star

The topic „Internet connection is lost. Geofencing in Arlo is unavailable at the moment.“ was closed and set to solved. 

Unfortunately it is not. The Geofencing is not working correctly. It detects the away mode almost securely but does not recognize the coming home securely. So I always (80%) get the info that movement was detected when coming home. When I start  or open the app on the iPhone, arlo immediately sets the modus to home mode.

There was a user reporting the same problem in the thread mentioned above.

That is still not acceptable and it empties the batteries quickly. 

I use the latest os on iPhone 11Pro and the recent arlo app.

Please check and fix the problem quickly.

azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every, I mean Every Time, you update the app you break the geofence.  My wife's and my phone are once again, not properly detected or reacted to.  Currently my phone says in the zone, yet the system is armed.  Why does the fence break with each update?  At this point, if I ever get the geofence working again, I will probably not update the app even if it cleans my house and does the laundry.  It is this kind of poor implementation of the software that keeps me and probably many others for ever paying for any kind of subscription.  Just no confidence in the development team.

Tomwebb81
Tutor
Tutor
To update from my testing, the geo fencing did seem to start working in 2.12, my issue was that it looked like when you got both phones back in zone the system would stay armed. After playing around this looked to just be a graphical issue within the app, the system wasnt actually still armed. If you killed the app from memory and re-launched it would then show the true camera status. Suggest people try this as the app may not be reflecting the true armed / disarmed status.
This issue also seems to go away if you switch any scheduling modes off and just have geo-fencing (I think!)

My new issue I have discovered since 2.12.1 is that my camera is not working intermittently. If I go to live stream the camera it just says connecting. When in this state its also not recording and registering any motion. If I leave it a few hours it then seams to start working. I’m not 100% if this is related to 2.12.1, or if I have a faulty camera. Would be interested to hear others feedback?

Thanks
Tomwebb81
Tutor
Tutor
Have been looking to replace my Arlo system to something else but I can’t find another camera system thats wireless and has geo-fencing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Rmsavell
Aspirant
Aspirant

When in geofencing mode, recognizing “home” and “awa is not a problem and is working well. However when “home”, the schedule is not working. If cameras are disarmed, and the schedule is not effective and doesn’t change to armed when it is supposed to. Essentially “home” is always unarmed. Suggestions?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Rmsavell

I am uncertain if your geofencing mode is functioning properly by your post. You mentioned Geofencing is recognizing when you are home & away & functioning well. Can you provide a little more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing?

Rmsavell
Aspirant
Aspirant
Example with the mode set to GeofencIng - Home-schedule and away-armed (schedule:unarmed-6am-9pm/armed-9pm-6am)

While at Home at 8:30pm the cameras are not on (as they should be according to the schedule) then at 9:30 the cameras are still not on (but according to the schedule they should be)
ChargingBlindly
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve had issues with geofencing in the past. Mostly required opening the app manually to register the correct home or away setting. After updating to ios 2.12.1 it’s completely broken. The app registers our phones as in zone or out of zone but the setting stays as “away”. Had this thing for almost 3 years. Cameras are great. Software is embarrassingly bad. Where is your quality control? How can something break this badly this frequently?
Gertholland
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have Arlo pro camera's and de 4000 hub. Two Iphones connected, an XS (administrator) and a 6S Plus (guest with maximum rights granted). Since the app update of beginning december we have problems that the status doesn't automatically sync correctly between the two phones.. During the day both phones are on status geofencing, and the geofencing works fine. When we go to sleep I (administrator) change the status manually to "active ". In the past the iPhone of my wife changed then automatically also to active. But since the december update it doesn't anymore. It stays on geofencing but then with "active" . In the morning i change the status manually back to geofencing. In the past the iPhone of my wife changed also to geofencing. But now it doesn't do that either. It changes from geofencing to "inactive". To let the geofencing for properly she has o change it back to geofencing manually and if she does so, during the day the geofencingworks fine again. But it can't be the meaning to have to do so, and before the update in december we didn't have to do so. So it's a bug in the new version. A bug in syncing the status changes between the two iPhones. Not in the geofencing itself, because that works ok once the status on both phones is manually set to geofencing. Please a solution for this. Greetings, Gert

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is this occurring on android or ios?