Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JohnnyGBanger
Tutor
Tutor

After last update on Android device 2.7.11 geofencing now no longer works. I have tried all sort of things from changing user names to restarting base station amongst many other things. Work fine before and is now a pain to keep changing setting. Please advise me if there is an easy fix or do we just wait for the brains trust to release an update to correct ?

98 REPLIES 98
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Hi!

Checked all the steps (not that I have for hundreds of times since this is the only thing actually been recommended by customer support)

Still having problems with geofencing. In geofencing settings the devices may be in either in/out of zone but mode does not change, arlo server problem? Base station sw problem (base is online connected)?

Also still experiencing battery drain in the arlo app, about 1% per hour. Have been like this for over a month!

Some say special characters in device name might cause problems but not sure what is special characters (non UTF-8, non ascii, non [A-Z][a-z][0-9], ...?), only using ascii alphabetical characters btw.

BR's Daniel

KoniniKid
Star
Star

I also have checked the settings & it's still rubbish. Considering it was working perfectly up untill this update.............

My phone (The Master) is on Android and has kind of started working. Yesterday it armed and disarmed the system but it took 5 minutes to both arm and disarm which is annoying as when I get home from work my phone starts complaining aout movement & it's obviously just me.

When I look at the enabled devices on my phone my wifes phone (iPhone) is listed as always unavailable & the location symbol is greyed out. I've tried every trick i've read about to get it back online. If I grab her phone, log her out and me in then go to the enabled devices it accuratley shows if we are in or out of zone for about 10 seconds and then it changes to unavailable and the icon greys out again. I've reset, uninstalled, removed her from the access and readded her. Nothing works and it's driving me insane. I paid a premium for a premium product & service. I have colleages at work running cheap Xaomi cameras and never having issues.

Lord_Polymath
Guide
Guide

Geofencing is still not working.  I'm SICK of this.  

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

For me Geofencing has been working on and off all this week.  Today is started working again for me for when I enter and leave the zone.  Weird thing is that the Geofencing for my Q cameras has been working than my wireless Arlo cameras. 

Monkey_501
Guide
Guide
Im still struggling. I am the main admin and we have 2 devices for geofencing. If I am last to leave and first to return it seems to be working. If we leave together or return together it doesnt work or if my partner is last out first in it doesnt work.. I hope this helps the devs
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Kind of the same experience here, kind of working on and off. Seems like there is a faulty implementation of FILO-principle (first in last out). Using only one phone seems to work better but not perfect.
Stefwin
Tutor
Tutor

My wife went out of town and logged herself (the second device) out.  All over sudden my geofencing worked perfectly.  As soon as she got back and logged herself back into the system, it completely failed again.  Just like some of the other comments people made, I am so sick of this.  This system wasn't cheap and one should expect Arlo would find a fix in a reasonable amount of time.  I spoke with customer service and just get the run-around.   

Stefwin
Tutor
Tutor

I forgot regarding the post above, we have two iPhones...

KoniniKid
Star
Star

I got all excited yesterday when new firmware was pushed out but unfortunatley it's still broken. Even more fustrating I got an email from Arlo support wanting to know if I had followed the general setup guides and got it working. I pointed out that there's a wider issue and linked to a bunch of twitter and community threads and asked if they can confirm they are working on the issue & have a time frame for resolution. No response.......

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Moderator - DO YOU EVEN READ THE PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE REPORTING. It is sharing our location fine. It just does not change the mode to "ARMED" when we are away and "HOME" when we return. It has identified our phone locations as being "inside" or "outside" the fence fine, it just does not change the mode to refelct that. This has nothing to do with our location tracking on our phones and is a system/server side problem.  Pease at least take the time to READ the problem descriptions and stop reciting back generic info.

gattriru
Initiate
Initiate

the same issue. The mode switch isn't working correct with geofencing.

Lord_Polymath
Guide
Guide

Same here.  Both phones show "out of zone" but the cameras are disarmed.  Switch to disarmed and back to geofencing, it sets to away mode immediately.  Maybe if we keep describing the problem over and over, someone that matters will actually do something to fix it.  Going to support is futile because they have no clue and go through rote procedures and answers.  A fire needs to be lit under someones you-know-what!!! The response to bugs/issues is PATHETIC. 

Stevain
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem. The ARLO-app shows both phones are 'out of zone' but the modus doesn't change into 'ARMED' (stays disarmed). When we do a manually switching from geofencing to something else and back to geofencing, he will immediately recognize and change into 'ARMED'. This means there is NO automatic relationship between the geolocation (which works perfectly) and the modus. I think this is not so difficult for NETGEAR to solve this problem ???? Without geofencing my camera's are worthless... worser, in the beginning (3 months ago) the geofencing has worked without problems... UNBELIEVABLE !
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I am in the same spot with the same issue at the last couple of post.  

t1ll1s
Aspirant
Aspirant

same problem here, 2 iphones, both show that they are 'out of zone' and the status does not change to 'armed'.

cmon Arlo, we all need geofencing to get fixed and homekit support.

listen to the community and work things out before people start jumping ship and your buzz fades.

Alazis
Aspirant
Aspirant
85BearsFan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Count me in as someone who has been having problems with Geofencing for more than a month.  I bought my 5-camera Pro  2 system from Costco at the very beginning of May 2019.  The installation was a piece of cake. I set up geofencing for all four members of our family (two iPhone X, one iPhone XS Max, and one iPhone 7 Plus).  Geofencing was great until the end of May. Since then, I can't get it to work propertly.  I have even tried restoring the Arlo Base Station to the default settings, deleting the Arlo app from the phones, and starting all over; however, geofencing still won't work properly.  To boot, it is terribly inconsistent.  Sometimes, it will arm when it should and sometimes it will disarm when it is supposed to, but most of the time it won't do either of those things. 

At this point, I'm trying to see whether having all users log in using the main Arlo account ID works (instead of each user logging in with his/her own Arlo account).  However, troubleshooting this problem has been terribly time-consuming and frustrating.  

iranika
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing is not working with  three iphones . I followed up all the instructions that were given , but not successful, keep receiving notifications while we are all home ..  Just set up four ARLO cameras yesterday, so disappointed about this product,

I hope the issue will be resolved asasp 

BillTHollins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dont expect a quick resolution. It has been failing for well over 2 years. It did work well for a while, but recent upgrades have broken it again. Today it shows my Android phone as out of zone, but my wife iPhone in zone. She left before I did.

Arlo keep closing these threads as fixed - but it is not!

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

What gets to me is that it will work fine one day and then start acting up the next.  I do not think it has worked more then two days in a row for the last month.  

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

This is just getting beyond fustrating.  If this is not fixed soon if I see a good special durring Amazon Prime days for a Ring Security camera setup I might cancel my Arlo subscription and sell my camera and call it a day.  

I am still having the issues as noted in Arlo 2 group as many others too:
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Geofencing-not-working-with-2-devices-on-Android-app-2-7-11...

Every few days my camera will not Arm when I leave my house and it will show in home mode even though both phones show away.  Then all of a sudden things will work correct for a day, and then it goes back to acting up and not arming.  What I do not get is why my Arlo Q cameras always seem to have Geofencing working right, it is only my wireless camera's that are not arming.  To get them to arm I have to toggle them to a different mode and back to Geofencing and it wil arm the system.  

tsubasa218
Initiate
Initiate

Count me into the list of frustrated customers.  I had geofencing enabled for 2 android phones.  I had it set to enable siren alarm for the master bedroom while we are away, and disabled when we return.  Well, yesterday I came home, hung out in the living room for about an hour then I went to the bedroom, and the ear-piercing siren went off.   I checked the phone app and BOTH my wife's and my phones are recognized as In Zone, yet the geofencing mode is still in Away mode. 

Today, my wife and I have left the house three hours ago, and I wondered why I haven't gotten any notifications from Arlo (normally there's motion activity from my cats around the house).  I logged onto the desktop portal and, low and behold, geofencing is still on Home mode (had it set to record videos but not send push notifications)!  Since the desktop client can't see geofencing settings, I logged into my phone app, and when I did, it immediately switch to Away mode, gave me a notification about it, and swapped both our devices from "in zone" to "out of zone". 

I don't suppose it's part of the feature to have you manually log into the app every time you leave/enter the house in order for it to switch modes properly.  It should happen seamlessly.  Here's to hoping the devs are actually working on a fix and not just saying they are.  Such great hardware, plagued by bugs.  

App version 2.7.11_25630

Base station VMB4000r3, firmware version 1.12.2.4_2772

Cameras: 3x Arlo Pro, 2x Arlo Pro 2 (5 total)

Jebbaker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geo fencing was working flawlessly for a few weeks beginning in July sometime. Prior to that I would have to arm or disarm it to get geofencing to go into the correct mode. It's been over a week now and geofencing will not switch out of away mode when I am home. I have 2 android phones and have rechecked all the settings uninstalled the app and powered off the modem. Nothing works.

Ksmoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
The geofencing is CONSTANTLY having issues recognizing devices within the zone. I've had this problem on and off for the entire 18months I've had the product. Arlo support even emailed me verification there is a known problem. PLEASE JUST FIX IT.