Geofencing, Schedules Inside Outside Camera Another Solution

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GoogleHeadMS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a two-Arlo Pro 2 Camera system, One Inside, One Outside, latest firmware, iOS 11.2, MacOS 103.13.1 (1/3/2018)

Using Geofencing, Scheduling and Modes, what I THINK I have done is:

Geofence Away: Both Cameras Armed

Geofence Home: Inside Camera never records, Outside camera records during sleeptime (11pm-6am)

Best I can tell from this exercise, the following things are true:

- You cannot disable a camera in a mode/rule.

- A mode/rule must have a notification, either push or email

- Browser editing of modes/rules is buggy on a computer (Safari MacOS)

- Modes cannot overlap in a schedule

After much effort I think I found a clunky workaround.

- I have created two modes with two rules in each

Both Off Mode:

Rule 1: Inside Camera recording set to do nothing when it's motion is sensed

Rule 2: Outside Camera recording set to do nothing when it's motion is sensed

Both Rules: Motion sensing set to minimum,  Email Notification to trash email account

Outside-On, Inside-Off Mode:

Rule 1: Outside Camera records on it's motion &/or loud sound, normal motion sensing, push and email to real email account 

Rule 2: Inside Camera recording to do nothing when it's motion is sensed, motion sensing set to minimum email notification to trash email       

*I did not want to disable ALL notifications in the app or IOS (for away mode or state changes) so I had to use a dummy gmail account for the emails with a rule to trash emails from ARLO

- Schedule Created:

Both Off Mode: 6am-11pm

Out-On, In-Off Mode: 11:00 PM to 11:59 PM AND 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM

- Base Satation set to Geofencing:

Away Mode: ARMED

Home Mode: SCHEDULE

Push Notiifications: ON

All this would be much easier if:

- There could be mutiple schedules and the schedules could be assigned to individual cameras

- Geofencing could be assigned to individual cameras

- Modes & Rules could disable a camera resulting a true "Do Nothing" mode

8 REPLIES 8
steve_t
Master Master
Master

GoogleHeadMS wrote:

- You cannot disable a camera in a mode/rule.

- A mode/rule must have a notification, either push or email

- Browser editing of modes/rules is buggy on a computer (Safari MacOS)

- Modes cannot overlap in a schedule

What you want to do is have no rule at all for the camera you don't want to operate ie inside camera.
By only having one rule for the outside camera for the mode where geofencing knows you're at home, you don't have to have any notification at all

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1- You cannot disable a camera in a mode/rule.

2- A mode/rule must have a notification, either push or email

3- Browser editing of modes/rules is buggy on a computer (Safari MacOS)

4- Modes cannot overlap in a schedule

1- Any camera NOT in an acitive mode is OFF

2- No, each rule per camera can toggle pushes or email on/off

3- don't know ,works well in PC over apps

4- Yes, ONLY ONE mode can run at a time

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Tom,

If you make a rule that says Camera A motion causes any camera to do nothing, you must have either a push or an email notification or both. Try it out

GoogleHeadMS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Steve:

I tried that... it doesn’t work because with Geofence:Home set to Schedule, and the schedule set with a rule to activate the outside camera at 11 pm the Inside Camera stays Active (from away mode) because without a mode or rule, it doesn’t have a trigger to go inactive between arriving home and 11pm.  In addition there’s no way to trigger the inside camera off AND the outside camera off on the weekend without a 2nd schedule.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can  you describe exactly what you want each camera to do depending on your geofencing and schedule?

Reading back to your OP, the mode you want to select for both cameras to be off is Disarmed. You don't need a custom mode for this

steve_t
Master Master
Master

- Schedule

6am-11pm Leave this blank

Mon-Fri Out-On, In-Off Mode: 11:00 PM to 11:59 PM AND 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM
   Saturday and Sunday - Leave Blank

- Geofencing:

Away Mode: ARMED

Home Mode: SCHEDULE

GoogleHeadMS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Steve:

Everything is working how I want it, but I felt the method was a difficult for me to come to and would be much simpler is some of the enhancements I suggested were implememted. 

I thried your exact schedule and it did not work, the inside camera activated when I was HOME (confirmed by the Geofence). I appears to me that just because you are using Geofencing, it doesn't mean that a camera defaults to unarmed in Home Geofence status, when GeoFence:Home is set to scedule.  I had to define the time the inside camera is off, which is 24 hr/day for when the Geofence status is HOME i.e. if I never leave the house (like I did on New Years Day watching EPL and College Football all day, Yee Haw) the Inside camera never records and the outside camera was active from 11pm to 6 am. This is why two modes are necessary for the schedule, one mode for 6am to 11pm and another for 11pm-6am. 

That being said... The second rule in the 11pm-6am mode sets the Inside Camera to Do Not Record.  This may be unneccesary if the inside camera stays in its 6am-11pm (Do Not Record) mode (which on a work day is enabled at ~ 6:30 pm upon the Geofence sensing I am at HOME) when the 11pm-6am mode is triggered at 11pm.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

OK, great everything is working how you want it. I agree that your method seems overly complicated but if it works, it works

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation