Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware Upgrade stuck

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
pavelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the 3 camera package, loaded the first camera and it's been updating for over 15 hours now.

I see that this is a common issue that people have had since 2016. I'd like to know if this issue has been permanently fixed with newer firmware or if I should return the camera while I still have the opportunity? I go away often and I don't want it to fail while I'm away - defeating the whole reason to have these cameras.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine keeps plugging along. Don't forget that folks with no problems just don't post about their successes very often.

If you're going to reset, do it right. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Hold he reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. When the base reboots, claim it normally. Sync the cameras. Update firmware if prompted as you go.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Glasto
Apprentice
Apprentice
Happened to my new package yesterday. Close the app and open up again. Should cure it.
pavelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

That didn't help at all.

I'm going to try resetting the base as it worked for other people.

Again, I'm more concerned with the long-term issues that other people seem to be having. How common are these issues and have they been resolved in the new firmware upgrades? I don't want to lose the cameras while I'm away and if I'm going to spend $700, I want to be sure they work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine keeps plugging along. Don't forget that folks with no problems just don't post about their successes very often.

If you're going to reset, do it right. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Hold he reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. When the base reboots, claim it normally. Sync the cameras. Update firmware if prompted as you go.

pavelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Reset everything. Seems to work fine now, thank you.

Next question:

How do I set zones without having Arlo Pro 2 connected to power? Specifically, my outside camera would catch too much of street activity and I'm afraid that in cold weather, the battery will die within days. How do I only capture activity in front of my door?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, read the FAQ here about best camera positioning. Don't try to get too much - eliminate the street and sidewalk. Concentrate on the areas of real concern (doors, sidwalk leading to the doors, etc.).

Other than that, you can subscribe to Arlo Smart and create zones without being plugged in. The downside is that recordings are still made and then post-processed by the servers to determine if motion occurred inside a zone. This still uses battery so may not be a good solution.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation