Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
juliabell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using a MacBook Pro (2018 model). As soon as I start watching my Arlo cameras via my.arlo.com, a fan starts running on my laptop and doesn't stop. Does anyone know what is causing this? Is there a way to prevent it? Julia Bell

6 REPLIES 6
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @juliabell,

Which browser are you using to view the cameras? Have you tried clearing your cache/cookies to see if that helps or try using a different browser?

juliabell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I discovered that it is only happening on Safari and not on Chrome - must be the plug-in for Safari is taking up too much CPU

juliabell
Aspirant
Aspirant

spoke too soon - now it has started running the fan nearly continuously shortly after I start the streaming on chrome too.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Is this happening when you're viewing live stream from Arlo? Or does this also happen when you watch other videos on other sites? You may want to try referring to Apple Support if your fans are running continuously. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Got cats or dogs? Dusty location? Computer vents, filters and fans can clog quickly in certain situations, leading to higher temps. Check closely to see if anything is plugged or nearly so.

juliabell
Aspirant
Aspirant

When it happens, com.apple.webkit.webcontent shows greater than 100% CPU utilization in activity monitor.  If stop viewing, that CPU utilization goes way down.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation