Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extra battery

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

When I purchased my Arlo Pro by Net Gear, I received 3 cameras and 4 batteries.

Is there any way to charge that extra battery without removing one of the active cameras?

Or, as I suspect, will I have to purchase a 4th camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could charge the 4th battery and keep it ready to swap in but you will need either a camera or the external charging station to keep charging. The external station is the better choice (and cheaper than another camera).

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could charge the 4th battery and keep it ready to swap in but you will need either a camera or the external charging station to keep charging. The external station is the better choice (and cheaper than another camera).

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Costco has an excellent sale right now. The dual charger and two batteries for about $100. I
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks RChobbyguide for your reply.

Think I'll explore the charging station recommendation as I don't need any extra batteries right now. But, I might change my mind on that, if the charging station costs more than what Costco has going now.

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks jguerdat for your response.

I'll look into that.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
The charging station is typically $57, the batteries $54. So the Costco deal is like getting the charger for free.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

A bog standard USB charger works.

There are people who insist that it has to be the fancy multi-volt Netgear charger, but in reality any decent USB charger does the job.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess I'm one of the "insisters". 🙂

To charge the battery, a charger that supplies 9v is needed. A 5v-only charger will run the camera but not charge it.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

To charge the battery, a charger that supplies 9v is needed. A 5v-only charger will run the camera but not charge it.

I do it all the time. Yesterday even.

Just plug 5 volts into a camera and wait for it to recharge. Takes a few hours.

I have to use a 5 volt USB charger because my Arlo Pro 2 came from the USA. (You know why that happened). No UK power supply.

Be a devil, try it.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks jguerdat and michaelkenward for your posts.

I have the necessary USB adapter that came with the system and the only way I can charge the extra battery is to remove one of the cameras and use it. Sort of an awkward procedure because of the placement of my cameras. I was just curious if there was any other way to charge the extra battery because there is no way to connect the charger to the battery other than via a camera.

As for the Costco deal, I'll be going to Costco sometime this week and will see if our local store has it. If not, I'll get it online.

Again, thanks to both of you for your interest and help.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You won’t find the charger at the Costco store, it is online only at Costco.com, for a short time. Free shipping!
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Hi RChobby.

Just went to Costco.com and the charger is not listed. Only complete systems. Also 2 extra cameras w/charger for $259.99

Guess I'll just have to continue doing what I've been doing - removing a camera to charge the extra.

Thanks anyway

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
brh
Master
Master

@Khone

If you have a Best Buy near you they should have them in stock.

Arlo - Arlo Pro Security Camera Charging Station - White

• Model: VMA4400C-100NAS
  • SKU: 5665610

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arlo-arlo-pro-security-camera-charging-station-white/5665610.p?skuId=56...

Or you could order on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Pro-NETGEAR-Charging-Station/dp/B01LXPAY47

Brian

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks RChobby

Searched the number and what came up was charger w/two batteries for $109.99 with discount.

Seems as though I only need the charger, it would be cheaper to buy it through Arlo which is about $54.99.

Still contemplating.

Appreciate the item number you furnished. Not sure why it wouldn't come up without that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

I do it all the time. Yesterday even.

I have to use a 5 volt USB charger because my Arlo Pro 2 came from the USA. (You know why that happened). No UK power supply.

Be a devil, try it.

Just did. Used a Samsung 5v, 2A charger with my external charging tube. No go - no indication of charging.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

You missed the bit in my message:

Just another user
Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks again michaelkenward.

No, I did not miss the bit in your message. I know I can plug the charger into the camera as long as I remove it from where it is placed.

Let me see if I can modify my original post to make it a bit more understandable.

1. I received my system with 3 WIFi cameras, base unit, USB/AC adapter for charging batteries while inserted

in a camera, and 1 extra battery.

2. No separate charging station to charge a low battery while all cameras are in use so that when the battery in a

camera is low, all I would have to do is remove the low battery and replace it with one fully charged - the extra.

3. Was curious why Arlo/NetGear would include an extra battery and no separate charging unit to ensure I always

have a fully charged battery. That way, all I would have to do is replace the low battery with one fully charged then

charge the low battery while all cameras are "on-line".

4. So, if I have a low battery on a camera, I have to take the camera out of use long enough to charge the battery. The extra battery is of little/no use because even if it is fully charged and I use it to replace the low battery, then I have no way to charge the low battery that I just replaced unless I use the same camera to charge both batteries. Then, I have to go through the same exercise for a low battery on any camera.

Kind of like the "dog chasing it's tail". No matter what I do, I will always have a low battery or have to keep a camera out of service long enough to charge both batteries.

I don't like taking my cameras off-line for any reason because of the area I live in. Lot of homeless and illegals all around us. So, time is of essence for security reasons.

Confusing? Hope not.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Two different issues - he was talking to me about the use of the charger connected to the camera rather than the charging station. Your issue is how to charge the extra battery. The solutions to your issue are: 1) use an existing camera to charge the battery, 2) buy an extra camera for this purpose (that would be crazy), or 3) buy the external charging station. The latter would be the best choice for keeping all cameras in operation all the time.

An option would be to use the solar panel to keep the camera charged in the first place.

brh
Master
Master

@Khone

You might have missed my post above, so if you have a Best Buy close by, you can go get the battery charger for around $58. See the links I provided so that you know what to buy.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

You missed the bit in my message:

Just a quick follow-up. If this is to continue, let's take it to PM. I took a camera down and used that same Samsung charger (5v only), using an Arlo cable to eliminate any seating issue. There was no indication whatsoever that the charger was connected using the app. The icon should have displayed a lightning bolt but it wasn't there.

I stand by my assertation that you need a 9v charger. Why you have it work is unknown to me unless the use of a US charger with a 240v adapter is somehow what's happening (higher input voltage leading to a higher output voltage?).

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Ok. Again, thanks jguerdat for your post.

I want to put this thing to rest because I don't think anyone understands my post.

I was only interested in knowing why Arlo/Netgear would enclose an extra battery and not a way to charge it without taking a camera out of service - i.e., a charging station. I will either purchase one from Arlo/Netgear or some other retailer. That will take care of that question.

As for the "missed bit" (I stand by my assertation that you need a 9v charger.) in your response, I did not miss it. Look, I'm using the charger supplied by Arlo/Netgear (see atch) and I do not have any problem charging the batteries. I just felt it was a wasted effort to have to take a camera out of service to charge a battery. It would have been simpler if Arlo/Netgear would have included a charging station for that purpose.

Again, let's put this thing to bed. I don't want to continue confusing anyone.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed. It's as much my fault for subverting your purpose for the thread as anyone. 

The short answer to your original question is that the marketing reason for including an extra battery is unknown. The best I can come up with is that you could have a charged battery to use when inconvenient to have to take a camera down just to charge. Of course, then you wouldn't have a charged battery available again. That would be the reason for the external charging station - maybe they thought the extra battery would push you that way?

Khone
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you jguerdat for your last post.

Ah yes!!! I believe you "hit the nail on the head".

I feel confident that was the purpose for an extra battery and no way to recharge a low one.

I don't know why they didn't include the charging station in the original package with a slightly higher price. But, then, the way they did it is "smart marketing" thinking maybe a person looking for a charging station would have an "impulse buying" moment and go for some extra stuff.

Anyway, thanks for your post. Much appreciated. Hopefully we can now put this baby to bed.

Have a good week.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation