Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Shazim18
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been using a Western Digital hard drive to record locally for the past 2 years but no issue. But about a week ago I noticed recording had stopped, when I checked the storage option in the app there was a message saying the drive was corrupted and try reformatting. I removed the drive and tried reformatting via my laptop but my laptop was not picking up the dive. So I figured maybe the drive was no longer functioning properly. I have since purchased another WD drive and connected it and have been using it for the past 2 days but I now see the same thing has happened to a new drive. Any ideas why or what may be happening? At this point it has to be a problem with Arlo and not the drives.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If using Windows, use the device manager to see if the drive is recognized at all. Are you using an external power supply or just the USB-supplied power? Does a 16GB or greater thumb drive work?

Shazim18
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat thank you for your response. 

I am using a Mac and the drive is not being recognized at all. It is usb powered. 

I just plugged in a thumb drive, which is working at the moment. I am waiting for 24-48 hours to see if the thumb drive gets corrupted. 

Shazim18
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thumb drive has become corrupted after 24 hours

DoNotBuyArlo
Star
Star

I had the same issue 3 weeks ago. I have been using WD USB HD (1TB) drive for more than 4 years and suddenly stops working with Arlo hub (VMB4000r3). I have been trying to fix it since then 'til I gave up. I have concluded that Arlo firmware made the local storage no longer functional. Arlo has this bad reputation of forcing things to break just to generate revenue. Mind you I am still on "Arlo Smart" for years until now and even though I have received many attempts from Arlo to upgrade, I never did. 

I am now waiting for this **bleep**ty hardware to die, then will switch to Eufy. I have already been using some of their products (like doorbell), and has been happy so far. **bleep** Arlo, you will lose a very loyal customer.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local storage works fine here on 2 different SmartHubs (4540 and 5000). It's very unlikely it's the firmware. That, of course, doesn't preclude other issues such as a hardware problem causing this. As a first step, although a painful one, it could be useful to remove all devices from your account, reset the hub/base by holding the button until the LED flashes amber and then start fresh. If it still causes corruption, use Settings, Support to select your hub/base to connect to official support. That does require a subscription so you may need to purchase at least a monthly single camera sub which you can cancel after things are worked out.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation