Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

External battery recharge

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Battledad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I keep a spare battery in a usb charger. I went to use it and it goes from 7% to 100% in a few seconds. I put it in a camera and it shows 7% low battery. I've had the batter about 1 year. Next I pulled out the wall charger and micro usb cable, put the battery in the charger, plugged it into the wall socket...same thing...7% to 100% in a few seconds.

Other than ordering a replacement battery anything else to try?

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Have you tried charging the battery while installed in the camera using the arlo USB cable and USB wall charger?

Edit: I see the typo now, sounds like a faulty cell in the battery. Replacement would be recommended. Try with another working battery to eliminate a faulty camera.

Battledad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not tried recharging the battery while in the camera. I thought I had read that you could no longer charge in camera with the last firmware update?

On a side note if I insert the questionable battery in the charger (plugged into the 110 with the adapter) every 5 times I click/release/reinsert the battery storage goes up by 1%. I am now up to 12%. It stops and shows 100% and then I start the string of 5 press/release/press.

I'll pull the outside camera and see if plugging it into the wall charger with the supplied cable does anything.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If what you read is true then I will not be updating my app since I only charge batteries in the camera.

Something to be aware is the arlo website interface is still broken for battery status so you should use the mobile app version instead, iOS preferred.

The battery in the pro 2 are 7.2vdc so a 5vdc adaptor will run the camera but not charge the battery.

You need the bundled single USB charger which is the Qualcomm QC type that outputs 9vdc.

Battledad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I pulled the camera and plugged it into the Arlo supplied cable/110 adapter. The charge shown on the desktop has gone from 62% to 84%. I will check it on the mobile app as well.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You should get the green lightning bolt on the desktop battery icon while charging but will go grey when fully charged.

The mobile app will show a fully green battery when charged.

Battledad
Aspirant
Aspirant

The battery in the camera recharged. The extra batter, when placed in the camera for recharging, jumped to 100% within a few seconds while actually only being 15%. I fear the battery has bit the dust.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Unusual that it has failed in that way, haven’t seen any reports of a similar nature. A bit like a car battery when a cell fails, usually they just die completely.

You could try draining the problem battery in a camera then try recharging again several times to see if it improves although if a cell becomes discharged it can mimic the same symptoms.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation