Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Event clip exists in library, CVR didn't capture it.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Improbable, but true.  I have a clip in the library that was triggered by motion, a car drives up to the front of my house.  When I go to the CVR recording for the same time (+1 minute before and after), there is no event recorded.  There is a green bar on the timeline as if an event ocurred -- I can see the front of my house which was recorded -- but there is no event showing, no car.  

Is the CVR so unreliable?  I'm thinking about returning my Arlo Pro 2 cameras and using some other vendor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds to me like there is some loss in the CVR video stream.  There are several reasons that might be happening.  The base station might be overloaded, there might be a poor wifi connection between the camera and the base station, etc.

Since this is new, you probably should contact support.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

PS this happened at 6:05 am, and there was enough light for the camera to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SBL wrote:

There is a green bar on the timeline as if an event ocurred -- I can see the front of my house which was recorded -- but there is no event showing, no car.  

Are you seeing any signs of motion when you play back those minutes?

Is there any obvious corruption in the video?

Are you hearing audio throughout the time window?

SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I see motion when I play back those minutes in the timeline, an electrical wire between two posts sways a little.  No obvious corruption in the video.I hear audio throughout the time window.  In the clip I hear the car motor; in the timeline I hear a continual hiss like white noise.

SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

The clip in the library from 6:05am is in color.  The timeline at 6:05 is in B&W or night vision.  The Arlo support person said this was because the timeline images hadn't had time to download yet to my computer.   My timeline frames are in night vision until 8:11 am then they start being in color.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SBL wrote:

The Arlo support person said this was because the timeline images hadn't had time to download yet to my computer.  

Ok.  Are the timeline images available now?  

If so, can you see the vehicle?

SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Timeline images are available, no vehicle.  Here is a screen shot of 6:05.  The thumbnails are in gray and the video above remains gray when still and when playing. 

I should mention I bought and installed this camera yesterday, it's my 3rd Arlo 2 camera on the same system.  I updated the software on the camera as indicated when I sync'ed it to the base station.  I did not restart the base station.

Thank you for your troubleshooting.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds to me like there is some loss in the CVR video stream.  There are several reasons that might be happening.  The base station might be overloaded, there might be a poor wifi connection between the camera and the base station, etc.

Since this is new, you probably should contact support.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

SBL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe a bad wifi connection was causting data failure, as StephenB suggested. Today the Xfinity tech came by and replaced our wiring.  

Something else for people to be aware of: the camera sees farther away than the motion detection.  You really have to test where the motion detection system activates.  It seems the car that didn't get recorded was just beyond where the motion detection system is active.  The camera sees beyond, but the motion detection didn't get activated.

I'm sticking with Arlo for now.

Thank you, StephenB for all your great throubleshooting.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation