Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the battery have to remain in the camera?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Dan555
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am going to permanently plug in cables to my cameras so that I don't have to keep changing the batteries all the time. I have eight cameras around my house. I suppose other people would have done this so I'd like to know: does the battery have to remain in the camera if it is plugged in to the a/c power supply? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dan555 wrote:

does the battery have to remain in the camera if it is plugged in to the a/c power supply? Thanks

No. 

Though it is ok to leave the battery in. Then you can also add a UPS to the base and router, which would let the system continue to work during short power failures.

Dan555
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. 

Now, I have wired up 8 cameras using cables I bought on Amazon. The cables are 29 feet long. The batteries are in the cameras. They have all been deleted from the app the reinstalled but most of them are not charging. I think two are, the rest keep going flat. Three of the eight power adapters are Arlo brand, two are another brand and one is a three port usb plug. I’m thinking either because of the length of the cables or maybe that they are not all Arlo adapters or because the cables are Chinese unknown brand that the batteries are not charging. Unless something else is wrong with the set up?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dan555 wrote:The cables are 29 feet long.

Likely this is the issue.  There is always some voltage drop in the cables, and all things being equal, the drop increases with the cable length.

USB-2 cable length is spec'd for a maximum length of 16 feet.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation