Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tdave365
Guide
Guide

Does the preview that gets pushed to one's smartphone when set up for Smart Alerts include a green highlight square around the area motion was detected (similar to how Wyze cameras behave)? 

I swear I spotted this green highlight square twice, but can't reproduce it for sure (the previews are ephemeral).  I am hoping so because it will be useful for me to diagnose the source of heat movement causing runaway triggers.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tdave365,

Yes. Rich notifications will highlight the motion trigger within the preview image. For more information on this, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056585/What-are-Arlo-s-advanced-motion-alerts-and-how-do-I-set-them-up

JamesC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tdave365
Guide
Guide

To answer my own question (and to clarify):

Yes, it seems that the preview that gets pushed to one's phone as a result of motion alerts with Smart Alert does in fact include a green square, similar to what you may see on Wyze camera footage.  This green square highlights the area of motion detected.

But, it's awfully tricky to spot for some reason.  It seems to come into view for just a second while one stretches open the preview, but then disappears almost immediately once the view is fully expanded.

This could be a great feature.  As I said originally, it can help to pinpoint the area where heat is fluctuating and trips the motion detection which is handy in helping to tweak positioning, assuming it isn't an actual person or other target object of concern.

I would like to see official confirmation of this feature in response to my posts here, but also, insight as to whether this can be improved in the manner I suggest.  None of the Googlable information I find about Smart Alerts mentions this feature or shows it off in videos.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tdave365,

Yes. Rich notifications will highlight the motion trigger within the preview image. For more information on this, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056585/What-are-Arlo-s-advanced-motion-alerts-and-how-do-I-set-them-up

JamesC

tdave365
Guide
Guide

Accepted this is the solution because the link confirms the feature which otherwise struck me as a fleeting uncertainty.  In the time since my post I also noticed that a tiny "other" preview, on top of the "bigger" preview, is in fact the area of the motion origination, all while there is a sometimes green square that appears but then (seems to) disappear quickly in the bigger preview.

So, accepted because it's a feature that exists and is pretty good -- helps me to troubleshoot my positioning.  But, I'm still dismayed by the overall clumsiness of it.  It's totally fine though, I just can't help wonder if there isn't a less ghostly/cleaner way to highlight activity in a preview.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation