Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 92 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
edzworldArlo
Tutor
Tutor

There has been an ongoing discussion thread related to support of Apple HomeKit on the Arlo platform going back to last year. With the news today of the Arlo Pro 2, and knowing that Apple no longer requires a hardware chip for authentication, what is the status of HomeKit compatibility on the new Arlo Pro 2?

12 REPLIES 12
Colticus
Tutor
Tutor

Hopefully they are working on it. That is the only feature that I want out of these cameras. As soon as it is added Ill be buying more cameras.

AppleFan
Initiate
Initiate
Same here - I’d buy another 5 or so if they were HomeKit compatible, as it stands I’m looking at other options...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is a lengthy discussion on Apple Homekit support in the Arlo Idea Exchange. I encourage you to add kudos to this discussion if you would like to see this supported in the future: Apple Home Kit

JamesC

edzworldArlo
Tutor
Tutor
@JamesC yeah, no. That is the thread I referenced in my question above. It’s been going on two years. Read the comments there. I myself give up. I cannot wait any longer. My entire home, and client installations, are outfitted with HomeKit: thermostats, outlets, switches, door locks, garage door opener, led strips, security system, etc. . I am reselling my Arlo Pro equipment and investing it elsewhere; no further client installations either. Smart homes need to be smart and integrated. Two years is too long to wait. Arlo Pro is a good stand-alone product, but does not fit my needs at this time. I’ll be back when the product is more integrated.
NannasArlo
Initiate
Initiate
Just bought my first Arlo Pro but thinking to retur it. The reason is (and I’m still shocked) that Arlo doesn’t support HomeKit!!! I kind of assumed HomeKit since, how hard can it be? It’s 2017! Was thinking to invest even more with Arlo as many people here, but now Netgear will just have their product back worth 400$.
CaptainVideo
Tutor
Tutor
Add me to the list. LOVE my Arlos but HATE lack of HomeKit. Sure would be nice to hear they are working on it. I’m researching another camera but it will have to be HomeKit comparable. Sorry Netgear.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Option for you HomeKit users, if you already have all your devices installed via for your homekit, for $49, purchase a SmartThings Hub. 

SmartThings can control all Arlo Devices and all the devices you may already have and the ability to add 1000's more.  

In all honesty, I bring this up because it is a crapshoot if Netgear would consider Apple Homekit, knowing that SmartThings has a huge following! 

For your SmartHome, Apple is going to be playing catch up with the big boys for a while, not saying it cannot be done, it will just take some time!

-Robert
edzworldArlo
Tutor
Tutor
@Robert Hubs add another unnecessary purchase and point of failure (when the servers providing the services go down).
I have removed entire installations of ZWave (with various hub vendors) and gone all-in with HomeKit.
As I mentioned before, I don’t dislike the Arlo system - I think it works well for what it’s supposed to do. I am just not investing in it or recommending it any more as part of a smart home installation.
Oh, and wouldn’t you know - one of the cameras is draining the battery down in one day. Not a unique issue as can be found in the support area here; I cannot in good conscience pass my system onto someone else with that issue unresolved.
CaptainVideo
Tutor
Tutor

Ditto on Homekit. I must say I'm impressed with the battery life. I don't want to ass another hub.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

edzworldArlo wrote:
@Robert Hubs add another unnecessary purchase and point of failure (when the servers providing the services go down).
I have removed entire installations of ZWave (with various hub vendors) and gone all-in with HomeKit.
As I mentioned before, I don’t dislike the Arlo system - I think it works well for what it’s supposed to do. I am just not investing in it or recommending it any more as part of a smart home installation.
Oh, and wouldn’t you know - one of the cameras is draining the battery down in one day. Not a unique issue as can be found in the support area here; I cannot in good conscience pass my system onto someone else with that issue unresolved.

Agree about point of failure and that's why I also have my own server, using InControl, that is a backup to the cheap $49 SmartThings hub.

My server so Netgear, Samsung, Apple has ZERO Control!

-Robert
babaluaye
Initiate
Initiate
Put me on the list for wanting Homekit. I found a few things that suck. 1. No homekit, 2. record until motion stops actually records many short videos, like 10 random length shorts instead of one conintuous 45 sec., for example. 3. disabled features like CVR or setting motion zones - the device needs to be plugged in. 4. Adding a solar panel does not enable AC functions, 5. This really is a paid service - if you expect CVR. 6. CVR is enable, but it doesn’t actually do CVR. (I’ll check tech support later). And 7. NO HOMEKIT!
khudsn7
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have several arlo pros and arlo Q.  When I go into settings in the Arlo app, under "Account", there is a category that says "Homekit".  When I select it, I see my home, and all my rooms I had set up in my homekit, in this tab.  But that is it! Is this just a placeholder now? Or does it work now with homekit?  Is so, then where are the homekit codes for all my devices?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 92 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation