Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does Look-back of Pro 2 work with older cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
pitman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does the look-back feature of the Arlo Pro 2 work with older (e.g., Arlo Pro 720p) cameras plugged in?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the look back ( about 3 secs ) feature works only with the Pro2 on ac power

( also the Q cameras )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Right.  In order to do a look-back like that, the camera basically has to be recording all of the time and when motion is detected, the camera can declare the motion event as having started a few seconds before motion was actually detected.  Battery power just does not allow that to happen.

pitman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I take 'Pro 2' to mean 'Pro 2 camera', right?

pitman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm. This doesn't seem to addres the question. I understand look-back, and I understand the camera has to have wired power. Question is whether older cameras can be used, i.e., if the look-back is essentially a console function or does it require a special camera (that is, the Pro 2 camera).

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Yes.  On this forum for Arlo cameras, Pro 2 is a pretty clear shortcut for Pro 2 Camera.  Here is an excerpt from the Pro 2 announcement in Oct of 2017, explaining that lookback is a new feature.  The original Arlo wireless camera had no AC powered mode at all.  It was battery only.  So that is an obvious “no”.  The Pro didn’t (and doesn’t) have all of the same features of the Pro 2 and is also apparently a “no” on look-back.  All of the Arlo wireless cameras can communicate using new newer base station that came out with the first Pro, but I think that only added the alarm and local storage functions to the original camera and added no new base station features when the Pro 2 was introduced.

From the Pro 2 Announcement:

“One of the main selling points of Arlo security cameras is that you don't need to plug them into power. However, Arlo Pro 2 is designed to operate in either wired or wireless mode. If you have the camera plugged in, it's able to do some extra things like record 24/7 video (with the applicable subscription plan). There's also the new "Look back" feature. The camera basically keeps recording a small buffer of video all the time while plugged in. If it detects motion, it can save that buffered video so you get a longer clip that might show more of what happened. Custom activity zones work with the wired Arlo Pro 2 as well. Arlo's beta smart alerts feature is still just in beta, though.”

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation