Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
stringbob
Star
Star

One of my four, outside, battery-operated cameras was constantly dropping offline. It's actually been acting up from the beginning, but I tended to blame it on the location. Recently, I decided to get back to troubleshooting the issue and connected it to a power source. It successfully ran inside for a few weeks. I then took it back outside, plugged it in and it ran for a matter of minutes before going offline, again. It seems to be an ambient temperature-related issue. Anyone know if there's some kind of temperature sensitivity adjustment?

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. It may just be a bad caamera so open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Dannybear
Master
Master
@stringbob
When you say the camera goes offline, what specific error do you get?

What is the ambient temperature variance outside just for interest?
stringbob
Star
Star

It says, "This Arlo device is offline. Please make sure it is connected to the internet".
The bad camera, and one other are connected to a 2nd base. I had to install a 2nd hub because the cameras were too far away, 70ft, from the main hub. One camera works perfectly, and the other, not.
In the coldest times of the year, the variance could be as much as 70° less between the house and outside. At this moment, there's only a 20° variance.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@stringbob
Thanks for posting back.

Regarding the error, I would get that all the time but since the latest firmware update it has been resolved for me. I wonder if you’re camera missed the update.

Regards the temperature question, I’m doing some research on this regarding pixelation and recording failures I have on two of my cameras when powered.
stringbob
Star
Star
Good idea. I'll see if it needs an update.
We hovered around 0°F a few days this winter. Can't say I saw any pixilation from any of the cameras. I definitely used to, but only from the cameras that were on the fringe of coverage from the main base. That's one of the reasons I got the 2nd base for the out - building.
stringbob
Star
Star

UPDATE:
I brought the defunkt camera inside the unheated garage and plugged it in. After it rebooted, it worked fine. I checked the firmware and it was the same as the other cameras. I then moved it back outside, plugged it in and proceeded to work just fine, for the next 4 hours. Then, it went offline again. Doomed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't see where you may have swapped camers around. That's always a good idea to see if it's the camera or the location.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Did you read this? Camera charging and operation is temperature dependent.  Temperature can be location dependent as well, depening on how close a camera is to the house, exposure to sunlight, etc.

https://kb.arlo.com/000051490/How-do-I-keep-my-Arlo-batteries-charged-in-cold-weather

Trapperhayes
Tutor
Tutor
How do you do an upgrade version for your cameras?
Dannybear
Master
Master
Check the firmware version under the device information is the latest. Refer to the firmware thread at the front of the forum.
Check the base firmware also.
Firmware updates are pushed through from the arlo server regularly unless they have been disabled via the web portal.
It looks to me like the cameras won’t work reliably below freezing 32F/0C as charging stops.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Dannybear wrote:

It looks to me like the cameras won’t work reliably below freezing 32F/0C as charging stops.

If you read the link I posted it says, "the minimum operating temperature for Arlo Wire-Free cameras is 14°F (-10°C), while the minimum operating temperature for Arlo Ultra, Pro, Pro 2, and Go cameras is -4°F (-20°C)."  Charging stops at 32F. That's the temperate read by the camera, not necessarily the same as the outdoor air temp.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@st_shaw
Thanks for the correction.

You mention that the camera reads the internal temperature, can you clarify if this is done with a dedicated sensor or is it using the internal battery temperature sensor?
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Dannybear wrote:
@st_shaw
Thanks for the correction.

You mention that the camera reads the internal temperature, can you clarify if this is done with a dedicated sensor or is it using the internal battery temperature sensor?

I haven't seen the schematic for Arlo, but typically, this is done with a thermistor as part of the charging circuit on the PCB. Because it's inside the camera case, which can be warmed by sunlight, and because electronics will generate some self-heat, the temperature might not match the air temperature.

stringbob
Star
Star

Yes, I read it. Thanks  Doesn't apply though since I converted to wired several months ago. It's definitely a bad camera, and it's been bad since the beginning. Shame on me for not reacting back then. .  

stringbob
Star
Star

Update process from Android app:

Devices>Settings Gear>Device Info>Firmware

stringbob
Star
Star

All devices report "no updates available"  

I don't use battery power in the camera. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
@stringbob
If the camera is out of warranty, could you swap it for one that is indoor?
stringbob
Star
Star

@Dannybear wrote:
@stringbob
If the camera is out of warranty, could you swap it for one that is indoor?

Thanks for the good idea!  While there are no Arlos inside, I do have an outdoor unit that is somewhat redundant, since installing a video doorbell. I'll move it. Thanks again!!

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation