Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distance from Base unit ... and what do I do if it's too far?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TimMichigan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok here's what I'm looking to do.  We do not have any existing cameras at our home.  I would like to add 2 exterior cameras at the house, and (at least) 1  at my Barn/Shop.  The barn sits 150 feet away from the house.  When running utilities, I buried a quality (underground rated) Cat5e ethernet cable to the barn.  The network cable will be connected at the house to my Modem/Router, and in the barn, will be connected to another Router for a (wired and wireless) access point.  The base station for the ARLO system will be at the house.  I'm assuming that the camera at the barn will not reach the base station wirelessly (probably 175 feet away from base station in house).  But, thru wifi, they will still be on the same network.  Sooooooo....  how do I make this work?  Will the 3rd camera sync to the base thru the local network, or does it NEED to be within range of the base?  Would I need to add a second base unit at the barn?  Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A second base likely would be needed or consider a Q camera in the barn, which only uses your WiFi.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In your case, it sounds like you need a second base for the barn.( as the distance is to far)

But not an issue as there is no limit on on the number of bases on any account ( just cams on yr service level) nor does location matter ( don't need to be on same network).

You could have 2 bases in different states on same account.

Just add the second base to the barn access point and have it added to your account. sync the barn cams to the barn base

The only thing to keep in mind is that while both bases and their cams will appear on the same account, each base is really on its own and must be armed separately 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TimMichigan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick responses ... I have searched the threads and saw the discussions where folks are looking to "sync" systems at entirely different locations.  I saw the solutions to add guest permissions so that I could view both systems on the same account.  I was just hoping (wishful thinking) there'd be a "cheaper" solution than buying the additional base.  

So is 100 feet all I can hope for with the distance from the base?  Thanks again

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Testing in your specific environment would be needed but, generally, yes.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation