Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Direct Storage Access USB

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
thekritic
Star
Star
Is there a technical limitation why VMB4000 is not supported for Direct Storage Access? I would like to access USB storage without having to upgrade the base station using the latest Android App and base station firmware. Can that be implemented in the next release?
3 REPLIES 3
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Seriously, this is probably the most commonly deployed config....and was still not cheap, yet here we are, basically unsupported in every respect even if paying for service.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Newer "hubs" incorporate different technology. The Ultra and Pro 3 cameras have different specifications from those Pro 2 devices.

While new hubs are "backward compatible" and can accommodate older cameras, it is unrealistic to expect old hubs to be "forward compatible" with cameras that weren't around when they were designed.

The one consolation is that an old Pro 2 base station at least has a noisy on-board alarm.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
thekritic
Star
Star
Hi Michael, thanks for the response. Probably the only new technology is CPU and Memory. You can still enable a feature using older technology . That is my only concern. All they would have to do is put limits on the resources the new feature consumes. Are the videos stored as .mp4? If so, a simple SMB/CIFS or even REST API could provide access. In my opinion it is mainly a way to get folks to upgrade even if they only had this installed for only a couple of years.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation