Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HnyBdgrDontCare
Tutor
Tutor
So I was watching YouTube videos regarding Arlo pro 2 and a user mentioned you should never have a security system tied to WiFi because of "deauth attacks" basically shutting down your WiFi, robbing your place and then turn your WiFi system back on making it seem as if nothing happened.

Here is his comment, "TheUrbanPrepper NEVER EVER USE WIFI FOR A SECURITY SYSTEM!! Every wifi network that doesn't use the IEEE 802.11w standard (i.e. 100 % of wifi networks because there is no router commercially available that uses the w-protocol, just b/g/n/ac) is susceptible to deauthentication attacks. All you need is a wifi chip that is able to work in monitor mode. Those are available from $2. Deauth packages can be sent from an attacker that isn't even inside the target network! Just google for wifi deauth and you'll get very easy step by step instructions. Doesn't even take 5 minutes to set everything up. Ones the deauth attack has started, every device in the wifi network is and remains disconnected. This means that your security cameras won't work at all. Once the intruder is done, he can stop the deauth attack and your cameras will reconnect. There is not a single way to trace back the attack because deauth commands are part of the popular wifi protocols. The attacker doesn't need an internet connection, just a laptop with a certain wifi adapter (e.g. TP Link 772n v1) or a 2 dollar chip from china (esp8266 e-12) along with a laptop or smartphone. He could even leave the esp in proximity to your house, running on a battery, and start any attacks at any time.

TL;DR: wifi devices such as security cameras can be disconnected by a little kid within minutes."

Can an admin explain what security features arlo has to prevent this if any??? I did some research and it's ridiculously simple and cheap. We're talking 8 dollars in parts to deactivate your $1000 wireless arlo system. Please respond, I feel like returning this system tomorrow morning.
2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If someone is going to jam your wifi before breaking into your house and bypassing an additional alarm system (which I hope you have), then you've got bigger issues. Perhaps you'll get a wired system that records locally, but when the thieves break in, they steal the DVR/NVR. Perhaps they cut the power and internet connections to your house first. How does the thief know you don't have wifi cameras AND wired cameras?
Where to from here? A safe room with it's own power supply, air and water supplies with 2' thick walls? The modem router will need 4G failover and for wifi in your house, you'll need it to be outside the safe room. What if they have a mobile data jammer as well?
It all comes down to what's practical and useful to you and what level of paranoia you have. If the Arlo system doesn't meet your needs, don't use it. Guess you'll also need to go past Nest, Ring, Amcrest, Panasonic, Wyze cameras as well as a million other cheap cameras. Not sure if they're all like this but you should search youtube for ways to disable wired cameras through lasers or IR flashes. If a $1 laser pointer can disable a $7000 camera...

brh
Master
Master

@HnyBdgrDontCare

As @steve_t said, if you don't value your personal belongings and possibly your life, enough to purchase a professional security system then you are simply nuts. My wife came within minutes of walking into my home being burglarized and would not have known they were inside as they came in the front door and she uses the back door to enter. I believe they heard her and ran back out the front door. That woke me up big time. The property was insured and can be replaced but her life can't.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation