Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tanner2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, has anyone had challenges with the cold temperatures and camera inactivity? Has anyone purchased the Arlo Camera Skins and has this helped in cold weather?
Thank you
11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The skins will not help if it gets cold.

The Pro cameras have cold isuues under certain conditions;

1) at the low end of the operating spec ( -4F, IIRR ) the camera will shut down saying it is cold and needs to warm up

2) the battery if running solar panel WILL NOT charge below 32F as it can cause damage to the battery pack

( also if brought in, it must warm up before it will charge on ac adapter )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Tanner2
Aspirant
Aspirant
cold101fusion
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday in Brantford Ont. the temperature dropped to -18 C /-3 F My Arlo Pro 2 outdoor cam was giving me messages that the battery pack was too cold to permit charging from the a/c adapter the battery was down to 84%. I took an old heating pad and wrapped it around the camera and tied same in place with a bungee cord (see attached) a very rudimentary fix. I keep the heating pad set on low but it provided enough heat to warm the battery pack to hold a full charge. Obviously I'll have to take this camera heat source a step further in order to make something weatherproof. However for the time being the cvr feature appears to be working with the exception of a couple of hiccups this am when the cam went into dormant state.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

-18 ????  wow.....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

that's -18 C , not F   :0

Been cold here on LI, NY..., range of 6-10F in the am.... Friday, Sat, going to be about 3 F

Still not -4F where the cams shut down tho

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

cold101fusion wrote:

. I took an old heating pad and wrapped it around the camera and tied same in place with a bungee cord (see attached) a very rudimentary fix. I keep the heating pad set on low but it provided enough heat to warm the battery pack to hold a full charge.

nice out of box thinking... glad to hear it's working for you... stay warm

cold101fusion
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Pro 2   cold temperature   use   is   something   that Wesserstein   should be  getting   their heads   around  like something   in the way   of an addon   rechargeable   heat source.   Weve  got   rechargeble socks , boot   insoles , mitts,   knee  wraps   and supports. How   about it Wessertsein  pick   up the   challenge.

cold101fusion
Tutor
Tutor

Further to my last   It is   -22   Celcius  this  am   here in  Brantford   Ont.   My Arlo  Pro   2  is a  little reluctant   to give me CVR    however the motion trigger is working well . I  have fashioned  a   cover made   from Dollarama  knee pads   wrapped tightly around the   rear  portion of the  camera.  Held in place by velcro straps. At this time there is no external heat source. The battery indicates a full  charge. See attached.

cold101fusion
Tutor
Tutor

-23  deg.celcius or -9.4 deg Fahrenheit here in Brantford Ont. Arlo Pro2 outdoor cam got a bit sluggish .I  took a small night light with a 7 watt bulb and attached same to the  rear bottom of the cam just under the battery pack with duct tape then rewrapped it with my   foam knee pad stuff. The bulb generates just enough heat to keep the battery pack  above freezing hopefully this will prolong battery life  . So far  the battery is holding at 100% charge. It's not exactly pretty but it works. The attached video is   of a rather shadowy figure walking along the rear path of my condo. I've labled him the "Boot  Bandit" he broke into one of our buildings and stole 4 pairs of mens and ladies winter boots. Now could someone please advise me in laymans terms how to program my cams so that they will activate motion  at specific times of the day?

cold101fusion
Tutor
Tutor

BOOT BANDIT

Tanner2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation