Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
noraocile
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why is it when its - 28 our camera always shows to warm up? I feel very disappointed. Everytime we need to remove it warm it up inside the house? Awaiting for your quick response
7 REPLIES 7
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

-28 is pretty darn cold. What are the stated operating temps for these?

noraocile
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I leave in Canada well sometimes is -40

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's important to provide all information, including C or F for the temps.

As noted in the documentation for the cameras, they operate to -4F/-20C. At that point they shut down. We don't know the reason for that but surmise it may have something to do with the li-ion battery. When it warms up, the camera will wake up again.

noraocile
Aspirant
Aspirant
Weather is -23C and it will be more colder this week.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

It is a “cold fact” ... shall we say...that Arlo cameras won’t operate in extreme cold.  I believe their specs are about right for real world experience.  In my experience the standard Arlo cameras operate at temps a few degrees colder than the Pro and Pro 2 cameras even though I believe the specs say the newer cameras perform at lower temps than the spec for the original camera.  Also, in my experience, a camera that is in the sun and has a black silicone skin installed, will absorb solar radiation and stay slightly warmer and operate at a lower ambient temperature than a bare camera in the same location.  This also helps with solar power charging at lower ambient temperatures.

If you want a camera to operate at the extremes of our northern weather, you need to use a powered camera that is rated for those lower temperatures.  Many have heaters built-in to cope with the cold.

noraocile
Aspirant
Aspirant
It was never solve ending were removing the camera and waiting the weather to be warn very disappointed
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@noraocile wrote:
It was never solve ending were removing the camera and waiting the weather to be warn very disappointed

As JGuerdat said, the specs for the cameras state they have limits in cold climates.  It is really a matter of the physics of batteries.  They just don’t work well in extreme cold.  The best cameras for cold weather are powered by wire and have heaters inside.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation