Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot connect Arlo app on Android to Base Station. First and third LED are solid yellow.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot connect my app on an Android phone or tablet to the base station.  Base station is powered on, synced to cameras.  Has an ethernet connection to a Comcast router.  The first and third LEDs are solid yellow, the middle one is solid for a moment, then blinks, then solid, then blinks. 

19 REPLIES 19
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

The first and third LEDs are solid yellow, the middle one is solid for a moment, then blinks, then solid, then blinks. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

What color is the center LED?  Does the power LED ever turn from yellow to green?

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I didn't mean yellow, all are green, including the middle one that flashes.  Don't know where the yellow came from?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Does anything work if you connect a browser to https://my.arlo.com/?

That would rule out issues with the mobile app and device.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can sign in to myarlo from both phone and tablet.  Still can't add base station.  Have reconnected all wires, done a factory reset, etc.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Bob_Z wrote:

I can sign in to myarlo from both phone and tablet.  Still can't add base station.  Have reconnected all wires, done a factory reset, etc.

What happens when you start the process?

Any prompts or error messages?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

It just searches but never finds a device.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

I cannot connect my app on an Android phone or tablet to the base station.  Base station is powered on, synced to cameras.  Has an ethernet connection to a Comcast router.  The first and third LEDs are solid yellow, the middle one is solid for a moment, then blinks, then solid, then blinks. 

If the power LED isn't green all bets are off. It could be a bad power supply or base. Either swap at the store if new enough or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to start the process for an RMA.

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

The power LED and the camera LED are green.  The internet connection, the middle light, stays green for a bit, then blinks, then solid again, etc. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Bob_Z wrote:

The internet connection, the middle light, stays green for a bit, then blinks, then solid again, etc. 

That's a sign of "traffic".

Just another user
Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

Then that would indicate that the base is connected to the wi-fi.  That still does not explain why I can't connect phone or tablet to base.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

Then that would indicate that the base is connected to the wi-fi.  

Not quite - it indicates that the base is connect via ethernet to the Arlo Cloud.

@Bob_Z wrote:

That still does not explain why I can't connect phone or tablet to base.

Technically the phone and tablet don't connect to the base.  They connect to the Arlo Cloud, and the Cloud forwards the base station status.  Though you are correct in saying that the LEDs are telling you everything is ok (which is obviously not the case).

If you browse to https://my.arlo.com in a PC, are you seeing the base station and the cameras?

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, but the PC is at a different location. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

No, but the PC is at a different location. 

Do you mean it's not on the same network?  Or just not in the same part of the house?

Either way, if a PC sees the base station and cameras, then that suggests the system itself is ok.

Are you logging into the app on the mobile devices using the same username/password as you are using on the PC?

Note that you shouldn't be trying to add the base or cameras on the mobile devices, since they are already in the account.

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

The PC  is at my home.  The base station, etc. are at a business miles away and, of course, not on the same network.   I don't understand what you mean about not adding the base and cameras on a mobile device. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

The PC  is at my home.  The base station, etc. are at a business miles away and, of course, not on the same network.   I don't understand what you mean about not adding the base and cameras on a mobile device. 

If you are seeing the base station and cameras on https://my.arlo.com on the PC, then the base station and cameras are linked to your account and are working.

1. If the app is using the same account as you are using on the PC, then it should see the cameras and base station.
  2. If the app isn't using that account, then you need to grant access to the App account from the main one.

Either way, if the cameras/base are already in the account, you don't add them again from the app.  Of course if you aren't seeing the base and cameras on https://my.arlo.com then you do need to add them.

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm a bit confused.  How do I add them to the account using the PC if it isn't anywhere near the base station and camera?  The account is the same on PC and mobile devices.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

I'm a bit confused.  How do I add them to the account using the PC if it isn't anywhere near the base station and camera?  The account is the same on PC and mobile devices.

You can't add base and camera from the PC if it isn't on the same network as the base .  Though you could temporarily move the base and camera to your home, and add them there.  Then move the base and cameras back to your business. 

Bob_Z
Aspirant
Aspirant

That makes sense, but what I still don't understand is why I need the PC.  There is nothing in the instructions that mentions a PC other than as an alternative to a phone, etc. 

If I followed your idea of moving the base and cameras to the PC, what would being on a different network mean?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob_Z wrote:

That makes sense, but what I still don't understand is why I need the PC.  There is nothing in the instructions that mentions a PC other than as an alternative to a phone, etc. 

You're not supposed to need a PC.  But if it isn't working with the app, it is reasonable to try a PC instead.  You could also of course try support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

@Bob_Z wrote:

If I followed your idea of moving the base and cameras to the PC, what would being on a different network mean?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  But if you move the base and cameras temporarily to your home, and connect the base to your home router, then the PC would be on the same network as the base and cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation