Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
twinmax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey there,

I am interested to buy Arlo pro 2 for indoor monitoring (base station + 2 cameras)

Is it possible to keep it plugged in and if power goes out, it would run well on batteries?

Does it come with two power adapters if I buy set with 2 cameras or you need to buy additional one?

Second question, how fast camera uploads records to cloud? (In case intruder steals or disables main station).

Can you use cloud and SD at same time (SD as a backup in case internet goes down).

How intense are cameras on bandwith (I have max 200gb bandwith per month since it will be 4G network)

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
twinmax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follow up questions: What happens if power to base station is cut? Can recording still be uploaded?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@twinmax wrote:

Follow up questions: What happens if power to base station is cut? Can recording still be uploaded?

No.

Without power, the base station will lose the wifi connection to the cameras and the router LAN connection to the Internet. It will also not be able to store recordings on the local chip.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes I have a camera plugged in to an outlet with the battery too. When power goes out it still works on battery. I have my router, modem, and Arlo base station plugged into a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) that will last a couple hours. It’s good for power blips and if the power goes out in a storm or something my cameras and internet still work 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, do recomend a UPS even if just for the base....

If the base is powered, (since the base creates a wifi network for only cameras ) the cameras will stay connected.... if you have a usb/mem card backup they still will record to this.

When the base power dies, the cameras start to ping the base ( looking for same ) more and tend to use power more than if connected

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
twinmax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers.

Is it possible that base station connects to internet over Wifi or only through ethernet cable?

Second question, how powerful UPS would I need for few hours more if the power is cut?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@twinmax wrote:

Is it possible that base station connects to internet over Wifi or only through ethernet cable?

Ethernet

@twinmax wrote:

Second question, how powerful UPS would I need for few hours more if the power is cut?

You need the UPS to protect the base station, and everything on the path between the base station and the internet.  That's at least the router.  Also the modem (if you use cable) or the ONT (if you use fiber).  

It's hard to size the UPS without knowing all the equipment it needs to protect.  If you can get the total watts used by all the equipment on the path, there are several UPS sizing tools out there than can help you pick a suitable model.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation