Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can’t connect to WiFi extender

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Savage03
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought this and finding I need to boost the wifi signal. Went today and bought a TP-Link 1750 extender. Been at it all night now trying to figure this out. The extender wants a password from the netgear base which from what I read has none? Wont let me not enter a password. I am by no means a network genius so I could be missing something simple.  

Any input would be helpful. Thank you

15 REPLIES 15
Dannybear
Master
Master
Why do you need to boost the wifi signal, the arlo base uses its own wifi to talk to the cameras. That’s the advantage of a closed system.
Savage03
Aspirant
Aspirant
One camera is far away from the base, vant be helped.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Forgive the dumb question but can you move the base closer to the camera?
What distance are you aiming for?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Savage03 wrote:

The extender wants a password from the netgear base which from what I read has none?

Is the Arlo base station plugged into the extender?

Going further back, what is the layout you plan to create?

You cannot use the Pro base station with a wifi connection back to the router. You need to wire the base station to the router. If you can connect the extender to the router then you can try plugging the base station into the extender.

Then again, how is your extender talking to your router? Wired as an access point? Wifi as a repeater?

Is this a second base station to get extended coverage?

I have found that one way to move a base station away from the router is to use Powerline Ethernet.

So, back to basics, what you are trying to achieve?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Savage03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Arlo base station plugged into the extender?

No, it is plugged into the xfinity modem. I dont have a router and wasnt sure if I needed one?

Going further back, what is the layout you plan to create?

Just have the 2 cameras right now so want to add more later. Keep the Arlo base close to modem(have no choice really) Then have the extender in the only place I can put it which is a outlet in the kitchen, thats closest to the camera that has a weak signal.

You cannot use the Pro base station with a wifi connection back to the router. You need to wire the base station to the router. If you can connect the extender to the router then you can try plugging the base station into the extender.

Then again, how is your extender talking to your router? Wired as an access point? Wifi as a repeater?

That I am not sure, right now I think its connected to the cable modem.

Is this a second base station to get extended coverage?

Just the 1 station

I have found that one way to move a base station away from the router is to use Powerline Ethernet.

So, back to basics, what you are trying to achieve?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Savage03

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Savage03
Aspirant
Aspirant

My head hurts... TP link was of no help and Arlo wasnt much better, just said to connect the cable from the base station to extender but nothing more. So if I have to have the base station connected to the extender all the time doesnt seem like theirs  apoint to having an extender? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you reviewed this article on how to Setup the Wifi Extender? How can I extend the range of my Arlo system?

Savage03
Aspirant
Aspirant

So you will have to have the base and extender next to each other.

Give that a try next.

Any chance you guys are working on a door bell with camera built in? Hard to get the larger camera face level when ideal is to put them up high so cant be messed with while door bell level is perfect.

PCharles
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Base is connected by wire to the router.  To move the base, you'd have to move the router. 

I am having the same problem. I just bought an extender. Each extender has it's own 2G and 5G address. 

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Your extender needs Ethernet ports so you can plug the Arlo base into one.

i have an EX8000 extender have it set up this way. 

The work around would be using the one name feature, mesh type setup but then you would need to wire the extender to your router which kind of destroys the idea of it being wireless. 

So unless you can plug your base unit into the extender you can’t extend the range.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@NewfieDrool wrote:

So unless you can plug your base unit into the extender you can’t extend the range.

Yup. The hub has to be wired into the Internet.

As suggested earlier – this is an old conversation –  if the wifi extenders do not have LAN ports, then Powerline Ethernet is an option. (The link is to Netgear but there are other brands.)

Powerline uses your mains circuit as an Ethernet link. You connect one plug to your router and the Arlo hub to the "remote" plug.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

It’s worth bearing in mind that extenders are a weak link and with a little know how the signal can be deauthed. With base plugged to the router this attack is very hard but once you start using Wi-Fi to extend the range with adaptors and extenders it opens up a little loop hole if you are not careful. 

Ive been testing this and found extending on the 5ghz channel lowers the deauth chance but adding any wireless adaptor that uses just 2.4hz means you are open to being disconnected.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NewfieDrool wrote:

It’s worth bearing in mind that extenders are a weak link

Powerline is a more secure approach when ethernet isn't possible.
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I agree, mind you it’s an unreliable system and it’s almost not worth worrying. I’m still trying to work out how I can get into my van just 9ft from the camera yet it fails to pick me up yet cars at 25ft are picked up. 

It’s not the greatest system sadly. 

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation