Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't add new Arlo Pro 2 cameras to Arlo Pro base station VMB4000r3

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Smilee128
Guide
Guide

Hi there,

Hope someone could help me. I have an Arlo Pro base station with two Arlo Pro cameras and two Arlo cameras installed (paired with the base station).

I deactivated and then removed one of the older Arlo Pro cameras. My account subscription now shows three cameras connected, and five supported (see attachment). I bought two new Arlo Pro 2 cameras to add to the base station to make it five cameras (the maximum for no-plan subscription).

However, after several attempts (using battery, using battery and power cord, only power cord) I still could not add any of the two cameras. Each time the amber light came on. Spent several hours trying without success. Very frustrating.

By the way, three cameras (two Arlo Pro and one Arlo) are currently working.

Thanks for any help,

Edward Lee

Information:

Arlo Pro base station model VMB4000r3, firmware 1.12.0.1_27940, running on iOS 12.2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Smilee128
Guide
Guide

I thought I would update in this forum so that others with similar problem may try this solution.

Took me a long while to get to phone support as I'd rather send an email or go on live chat. However, both these featues don't seem to work - submitting the email resulted in error message, live chat window that popped up doesn't have any one to chat with. I took the courage topick up the phone as I previously had a very disappointing experience. However, the support person took time to understand my problem and he then asked me whether I had tried OFFLINE SYNC because he suspected wifi interference.

He patiently directed me to

1. turn off the Arlo Pro base station
  2. turn off every wifi device in the house, i.e. internet modem, router, smart home devices, wifi printer, etc. 
  3. wait a few minutes, then turn on only the base station
  4. sync the 1st new Arlo Pro 2 camera; SUCCESS! Then sync each camera including my two older Arlo Pro, one at a time.
  5. after all 5 cameras are synced, remove the battery from every camera (this step seemed bewildering, but I followed as instructed 🙂  )
  6. turn off the based station and wait a few minutes
  7. turn on the base station again
  8. turn on all the wifi devices previously turned off
  9. sync each camera one at the time
  10. turn on the Arlo app on my phone
  • the phone Arlo app shows each camear added!
    • for new cameras (i.e. not previously synced) the firmware update notice will appear, but DO NOT UPDATE YET.
      • when all the cameras are synced, then update the firmware.

DONE! I am very happy indeed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by rebooting the base. Then be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - dont hold it for 2 seconds. Did that work?

Smilee128
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your suggestion @jguerdat.

I restarted the based from my phone app, then followed your suggestion to press the sync button briefly, but same orange light blinked 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing? Are all 3 green?

Smilee128
Guide
Guide

Yes, all three are green. The sync light flashes even trying to sync, but stopped flashing shortly after camera went Amber.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would open a case with support at this point:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Smilee128
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I’ll contact support, and thanks for the URL.

Smilee128
Guide
Guide

I thought I would update in this forum so that others with similar problem may try this solution.

Took me a long while to get to phone support as I'd rather send an email or go on live chat. However, both these featues don't seem to work - submitting the email resulted in error message, live chat window that popped up doesn't have any one to chat with. I took the courage topick up the phone as I previously had a very disappointing experience. However, the support person took time to understand my problem and he then asked me whether I had tried OFFLINE SYNC because he suspected wifi interference.

He patiently directed me to

1. turn off the Arlo Pro base station
  2. turn off every wifi device in the house, i.e. internet modem, router, smart home devices, wifi printer, etc. 
  3. wait a few minutes, then turn on only the base station
  4. sync the 1st new Arlo Pro 2 camera; SUCCESS! Then sync each camera including my two older Arlo Pro, one at a time.
  5. after all 5 cameras are synced, remove the battery from every camera (this step seemed bewildering, but I followed as instructed 🙂  )
  6. turn off the based station and wait a few minutes
  7. turn on the base station again
  8. turn on all the wifi devices previously turned off
  9. sync each camera one at the time
  10. turn on the Arlo app on my phone
  • the phone Arlo app shows each camear added!
    • for new cameras (i.e. not previously synced) the firmware update notice will appear, but DO NOT UPDATE YET.
      • when all the cameras are synced, then update the firmware.

DONE! I am very happy indeed.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation