Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
SheShe8645
Aspirant
Aspirant

I read on this board that my Arlo Pro 2 will work fine without battery if plugged in with correct, Arlo power/charging cord. Is this true? If so, why is it not working for me?

6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@SheShe8645 wrote:

I read on this board that my Arlo Pro 2 will work fine without battery if plugged in with correct, Arlo power/charging cord. Is this true?

It works here.

@SheShe8645 wrote:

If so, why is it not working for me?

You'll have to tell us more about what is happening at your end for guidance on that. I'm afraid that "not working" could hide a multitude of sins.

Does it work with the battery in?

If so, what happens when you remove the battery?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
SheShe8645
Aspirant
Aspirant

This camera just arrived from Arlo WITHOUT a battery because It is a replacement for a camera that was under warranty and not working (explained below)

I receive camera, open box, plug it in with a KNOWN working Arlo power charger and cord. No lights, will not synch, nothing in app, nothing. Camera is responding as tho it’s still sitting in the box on the FedEx truck. I assumed it was because there was no battery in it. I come to this board and several answers said YES camera will work plugged in without battery. So I asked my question (this one)

The camera did not work as in - no lights, won’t synch, won’t add to my base, nothing. 

Now this is probably a new issue below. I swear the camera they gave me (the one I’m asking about now) is the same one I sent back 10 days or so ago. 

I bring a different, WORKING camera in from outside. The perfectly WORKING camera from outside had a 56% battery in it. I put that battery in the camera that I’m having problems with and also  plugged it in. So, the camera I’m having problems with is now plugged in and also has a 56% battery in it. . It worked, I see it in app, I see the live view.  I left the room the camera is in. It’s a small room (about 10’x10’), It was sitting about 2 feet from the base and my router. The camera went off about two times because someone walked by 2 times.  I checked the camera about an hour later, battery showed 20% and I can not remember if it had a lightning bolt or not because the lightning bolt would come and go randomly.  The app would show offline/not offline randomly.  When it worked again it showed lightning bolt battery 1%. The next morning the battery was 0% , camera was offline and there is nothing I can do because I have a 0% battery and that camera will not work with power only.

Basically that camera drained the battery and battery WILL NOT charge in THAT camera (same problem with the one I returned). I put the 0% battery in another camera and plugged it in in the time it has taken me to type this out, it’s at 20% now. The battery is not faulty (unless this faulty camera screwed it up, I need more time to see if it is STILL working fine)
I’m giving up. The camera is currently plugged in without a battery, showing off line so I can’t even check through the app if it’s getting power. 

The camera I returned was using totally different power outlets than the one I’m having problems with now. 
The camera  I returned was using totally different power cords than the one I’m having problems with now (a replacement)
The camera I returned was being used in a different house than the one I’m having problems with now (the replacement)
The camera I returned was being used in a different state (I had neighbors mail it back) than the one I am having problems with now (the replacement)

I can safely say that the problems I had/having with this (and that) camera have nothing to do with anything on my end. 
please advise. Thank you

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Chappy2222
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did you ever get this resolved? I’m having the same problem. One camera I got working just fine, the other is giving the results you report. I’m afraid to disconnect the working camera because it might stop working. Arlo support told me the cameras were “no longer under warranty”
SheShe8645
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can not remember. I don’t think I returned a camera twice, so the one I got eventually worked. Everything was Arlo. The Arlo power cord would not reach the outlet, so I added a USB extension. I bought a 25’ ARLO power cord and it works. Took the USB extension to another house and now that camera is screwing up. Bottom line make sure everything that touches the cameras or base is ARLO brand only.  I had so many different problems with different cameras and different houses I can’t keep it straight. All I know is that they screw up if you don’t use 100% Arlo product for everything. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Long USB cables are notorious for using thin wires. That's fine for low current draw but when the camera starts drawing major current due to recording, those thin wires cause a voltage drop (basic electricity theory E=I/R). There are long cables with heavier gauge wires that will work fine but they cost more - most folks go too much by price. Arlo has taken the time to engineer the accessories to be compatible with the distance needed.

Another way to resolve this is to not extend the USB cable but to use an extension cord to plug the charger into. That way the USB voltage drop never comes into play.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation