Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I leave battery in camera while it is hard-wired to use CVR? Can I use Arlo Solar Panel?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
JRD761
Tutor
Tutor

I just picked up an Arlo Pro 2 two camera & hub kit.

I want to enable the Continuous Video Recording feature on the cameras, but it's my understanding you need a hard-wire power connection. 

The only way I can get power to the camera is using a nearby power outlet, but it will be very easy for someone with bad intentions to just walk up and unplug the camera.

Can you leave the battery in the camera while it is also hard-wired into a power plug?

If you have CVR enabled and it's plugged into the wall (and the battery is still installed), and someone does unplug the camera, how does the camera react?

Does the camera just fall back to the motion sensor to know when to record? Or does the camera just shut off and it won't record anything? 

Or... can the Arlo Solar Panel provide enough power for it to enable CVR?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JRD761 wrote:

Can you leave the battery in the camera while it is also hard-wired into a power plug?

Yes.

@JRD761 wrote:

If you have CVR enabled and it's plugged into the wall (and the battery is still installed), and someone does unplug the camera, how does the camera react?

If you have motion detection enabled for the camera in the mode that is active, then you will still receive motion alerts and the system will still record motion videos.  Similarly if the power fails.

@JRD761 wrote:

Or... can the Arlo Solar Panel provide enough power for it to enable CVR?

No it doesn't.  It will trickle-charge the battery, but it's not enough to power CVR.  And if you try it, CVR won't be enabled.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@JRD761 wrote:

The only way I can get power to the camera is using a nearby power outlet, but it will be very easy for someone with bad intentions to just walk up and unplug the camera.

There are ways of dealing with this. You can install a lockable power socket.

Many outdoor sockets come with holes that should accept a padlock.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@JRD761 wrote:

There are ways of dealing with this. You can install a lockable power socket.

Many outdoor sockets come with holes that should accept a padlock.

I agree.  Though understanding the behavior when the power fails is also useful.  But if you want to continue operation through a power outage, you'd need to connect a UPS to your base station, router, and gateway to ensure that you still have WiFi from the base and a working internet connection.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

But if you want to continue operation through a power outage, you'd need to connect a UPS to your base station, router, and gateway to ensure that you still have WiFi from the base and a working internet connection.

Burglary and power cuts are very different challenges.

I was talking about the first. The original message said nothing about power cuts.

Dealing with both presents an interesting project for someone.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation