Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Msrace
Follower
Follower

Does the Arlo Pro 2 motion detection work through glass windows?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Only if AC powered which enables pixel-based detection.
Allsport2233
Guide
Guide

I just contacted Arlo technical support and they stated that the Arlo Pro 2 cameras do not have the ability to do pixel-based detection even when on AC power.

I was also reading other articles that talk about this feature being enabled when using the CVR purchased options but support stated that this camera does not have the hardware to do pixel-based detection and it is only IR. 

Can anyone confirm this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based soley on my experience, I'd say that it used to have pixel detection but that has been disabled for some reason. No idea why or if it will return.

Allsport2233
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply I have also read that as well in certain posts. I wonder if the camera has the hardware to do it but was disabled for some reason.
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

I'm now to Arlo cameras but have experience with other (D-Link) net cams and motion detection. In testing my Arlo Pro 2 positioned to look through a window, motion detection didn't work. When I moved the Arlo camera outside and no longer viewing through glass then motion dection worked again. I have IR turned off on the camera. The D-Link cameras I believe did motion detection by comparing pixels but then the D-Link cameras were powered by an AC adapter all the time. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Currently, the P2s seem to only be using the PIR detectors. I have the same issue - a camera indoors looking through glass won't detect. I created a new rule that uses an outdoor camera to detect the motion but uses the indoor camera to record.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

jguerdat wrote:

Currently, the P2s seem to only be using the PIR detectors. I have the same issue - a camera indoors looking through glass won't detect. I created a new rule that uses an outdoor camera to detect the motion but uses the indoor camera to record.

I wish Netgear would explain how their equipment works.

My Pro 2s do not appear to be using PIR-only.  I brought one inside and plugged it into AC.  I setup a detection zone that was in the upper right of the viewing area, about 1/4 the area. The camera would not trigger unless there was activity inside this zone.  The zone is much smaller than the PIR field of view.  Also, the camera would not detect through glass.  So, it appears the camer might be using  a combination of PIR detection AND motion inside the zone to declare a detection.  A previous poster suggested this also.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation