Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can Arlo Pro 2 Camera be electronically disrupted

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
168bill
Aspirant
Aspirant

Model      Arlo Pro 2       HW Version H3

Firmware 1.125.13.0_31717

I have an Arlo Pro 2 Camera mounted at the rear of my property with a continuous power supply.

This evening a gang tried to steal my neighbours car (parked at rear) and they used an electronic device to scan his home for the electronic key and opened his car.

My Arlo 2 camera was recording this and at the point when his car was remotely unlocked, the recording lost the picture of the thief (he just disappeared) although the recording continued for its set length of 2 minutes.

Is there some sort of electronic device that they could have been using that would disrupt the camera in this way? and if so, is there any way to protect against this in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
Have you checked the base station USB backup device for the full recording?
If the cloud recording failed due to impulse noise then the full recording should be on the USB.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master
If the cloud recording failed due to impulse noise then the full recording should be on the USB.
168bill
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Dannybear wrote:

Funnily enough I wondered about the USB when I was in bed last night, so checked it this morning.

You are spot on, the full recordings are on the USB Smiley Very Happy

By impulse noise, do you mean from whatever electronic device they were using?

Thanks,

--

Bill.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Any signal in the same bandwidth with enough intensity could possible interfere with the camera signal... but the fact the full recording was on the USB, I might think it was something else...

Obv, the camera sent the full recording to the base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Dannybear
Master
Master
The issue you described is unlikely to have been a result of a jamming device. If it were then the USB backup recording would have been lost also.

The cloud server drops the video if the camera stream gets upset but the USB records regardless hence it is still playable.

You should be able to duplicate the effect by triggering a motion event and then taking the camera for a walk towards the base station to maximise signal as you travel.
You should then get the cloud recording audio playing continuously but the cloud video skips to the last frame when the recording eventually stops. Hence the effect of someone disappearing.

To minimise this occurring again, consider increasing the signal strength on the camera by relocating the existing base station closer to the camera or alternatively using an additional base station dedicated to that camera at a closer location.

I sometimes get it when I open my old refrigerator door or zoom past the house with an old two stroke grass cutter.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation