Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras occasionally stop detecting motion

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Bmr143
Star
Star
Occasionally, each one of my five cameras stop detecting motion. They work again when I go to the app and turn the camera off then back on. This is very annoying. I could kiss something important because of this.
I only notice they aren’t working when it happens because my dog typically goes through each of the camera multiple times a day.
I’d say each camera does this on average of once every two weeks. Does anyone else have this problem?
22 REPLIES 22
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that the camera simply isn't detecting the motion. Have you increased sensitivity in your modes and rules?

Bmr143
Star
Star
Yes my sensitivity is at 100 for all five cameras. They just don’t work at different times once in a while. The one over my garage doesn’t even catch the car. I turn the camera off then on and it starts detecting again.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a similar problem with mine.  The infrared LEDs turn off randomly, and the only thing I have found that solves the problem, other than removing the device and installing it again, is to deactivate the camera that is doing this and then reactivating it again.  It is very annoying though since those infrared LEDs are used to determine motion at night.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The IR LEDs are not used for nighttime detection - they're illuminators for night vision. The same PIRs are used for motion detection regardless of the time of day.

I'd start by creating a new custom mode with the same settings as what you're currently using. Test that mode to see if it works properly. If not, removing and resyncing the cameras may be needed.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your input.  I understand what the IR LEDS are for; I have a degree in electronics and that covers PCs as well, but I believe that Arlo needs to look into their software code.  I think this is a bug in that code.  I tried what you suggested and it didn't help, but hopefully Arlo will address this problem.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have tried literally everything I can think of from changing the settings on both of my cameras, to removing each of them one at a time and reinstalling them and I am still having both of them (occasionally) not detecting anything. I have also tried using them with and with out the power cord and nothing I have tried has kept them functioning at all times, as they should. I have an education in electronics and computers, and have only one conclusion which is that Arlo has a software bug in their programming. Please look into this Arlo, as I am seeing others with the same or similar complaints.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joe1821 wrote:

I understand what the IR LEDS are for... but I believe that Arlo needs to look into their software code.  I think this is a bug in that code.  

FWIW, your phrase "since those infrared LEDs are used to determine motion at night" led to the understandable conclusion that you were thinking they were used for motion detection.  Which of course isn't the case.  The PIR sensors do that (and they don't depend on the LEDs - they use a different part of the IR spectrum).

Some more information on what you are seeing would be good. 

Is your camera on battery power? If it is, then the IR LEDS should only be coming on when motion is detected by the PIR sensors, and should stop when the camera stops recording.  If you are seeing something different, can you give us more details?

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice
I might have figured out what was causing the problem.  I have had this problem with battery use, AND with the power cord, however I thought that if you have the cameras set up using the 3 zones that can be programmed, I was led to believe that in those zones there would be a heightened sensitivity to motion, and it appears to me now that using the zones you actually "limit" the sensitivity in all the other surrounding areas rather than increasing sensitivity in the areas you are capturing in the rectangles.

Do I now understand what those zones actually do?

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

As it turns out, I was wrong about creating zones; the problem still exists.  For no apparent reason, I am not getting "motion" detection from either cameras occasionally and I don't know why.

Bmr143
Star
Star
Same here. Very annoying. I just had someone come to my front door and the camera didn’t pick it. The person came up my walkway just like everyone else does when the camera usually picks them up. This time nope. It turned the camera off and right back on. I went out there and it picked me up.
Again, this happens to all 5 of my cameras occasionally.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know BMR!  I am not positive yet, since I have been keeping a close eye on all of the functions of my Arlo Pro 2 system, but it seems that the one that is on the power adapter does not have nearly as many interruptions in doing it's job as the one on battery power.  I have ordered a second power adapter and cord for the one that is on battery power currently, but Arlo should have included that second power adapter with my system, since after all my system is a 2 camera system, but it is what it is.  I am hoping that once I get the power adapter I won't be plagued with as many problems as I have been since I first got my system, but you are totally right that it is frustrating as can be since in reality we are using this for our "security" and that means a Feeling of security as well as legal security.  I still believe however that it is a code problem and Arlo needs to address it.  Otherwise we bought a system that is not really doing what we bought it for in the first place, right?

Bmr143
Star
Star
My cameras are in places where I can’t plug them in. I’d have to run electric to all of them. Plus, I’d have to buy outdoor plugs for them. It would be another couple hundred dollars for that. I’m annoyed. I regret purchasing Arlo I think.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

All I can say at this point in my review of Arlo is that I understand your disappointment regarding the "intermittent" interruptions of monitoring control of the camera system, however I researched the Blink security cameras and the Arlo, and a few others and found that the Arlo was the most suited to my needs.  I do however want to say that I clearly did expect there to be consistency in the ability to do what it's supposed to do, and at least so far it is proving to be lacking in it's ability to do that.  Blink didn't have the flexibility that I needed or the functionality.  If my system functions as well when I get the additional power adapter I will be happy with my system and I will post that, however I DEFINITELY think that Netgear should fix the "bugs" in their code, or the electronics, if they want to stay in the security camera business since, if I knew that I was going to have this many problems with my system from the start, I probably would have gone with a different one as well.  I does appear that using the battery instead of hard wiring lessens the ability of the cameras to function properly.

darthvader2002
Star
Star

Have the same problem.  

Locked inside and our couriers are advised to leave deliveries on doorsteps and not to ring the bell.  Missed two deliveries on past few days and today, I wandered outside after a few days of bad weather, forgot to unset Arlo, and then thought I would have a stream of notifications on the phone when I got back inside.

Nothing.

Then turned that zone off and on again, and its working.   Suspect its something to do with sleeping apps, or Android updates.    Getting sick of fundamental problems with this gear.

Cant wait till Im earning money again to buy something more reliable.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

dchaar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have only had my Arlo system a few months but started having this same problem as soon as I added the black skins. I took them off today and hope that solves the problem. Has anyone else had comm issues after adding the skins?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dchaar wrote:

I have only had my Arlo system a few months but started having this same problem as soon as I added the black skins. I took them off today and hope that solves the problem. Has anyone else had comm issues after adding the skins?

Some skins do block the PIR sensors that detect the motion.  

erstwhilepub
Aspirant
Aspirant

Folks, I have had the system a few months now and have started to notice this too. My back camera films me getting out of the house, walking to the car, starting the car and backing out of the driveway almost all the time, but on a random basis I get NOTHING. Sometimes this is two videos back to back but it records--except about once in a blue moon, nothing. I use AC for the camera and the camera settings and position are not changed.  The car is parked in the same exact location in front of the garage door, etc. It is always dark when I leave. Now, I am noticing the same random things with my indoor and front camera. Either the motion detection is randomly not working or the recordings are randomly not saved  to the library. Otherwise, the systems works great with sharp video day and night other then the 4-5 second delayed recording. One day it recorded people talking on the front sidewalk 15 ft. away! I could turn up the volume and hear everything they said!

Bmr143
Star
Star
Arlo is junk. I called about this issue a couple weeks ago. While on the phone with the tech, after doing the steps they recommended, my base station would no longer work. So the said they’d send me a new one. Well that “new” one is refurbished. I also get the same issues with the cameras not working. Today for example, nothing notified and nothing recorded on my deck all day I log in, turn camera off and right back on then walk on my deck... bingo it works. Total junk. My system was hooked up in January.
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bmr143,  I am convinced now that Arlo is not nearly as good as I thought it was originally.  After the base would not initialize when I was having router problems, I managed to fix my router because I have a degree in electronics and computers and a lot of experience. However, I took the Arlo Pro 2 back to Best Buy for a new replacement.  I had similar problems setting it up as I did with the first one, (getting one camera working and then the other would not work) but eventually I got them both working the way I think they should.  I believe however that I was just lucky getting them both functioning at the same time because I am persistent.  I don't believe I would buy Arlo again though.  Thanks for taking the time to give your input Bmr143.

darthvader2002
Star
Star

@erstwhilepub  it will not get any better.   I have couriers deliver parcels that dont get picked up and numerous other examples.   I bought my setup after a burglary and it used to work perfectly. It even used to notify immediately when someone  crossed a camera path - now camera's work adhoc and notifications take, say, a minute to come through (if I get them at all). 

Bmr143
Star
Star
I may have fixed the issue. I made my own mode. So instead of using “Armed,” I made my own mode but mimicked all of the settings I was using in the Armed mode. I’ve had my system set this way for at least a month and haven’t noticed any problems.
Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation