Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
davidj77
Star
Star

Had to call last week due to them either getting hacked or breaking something during an update. My cameras were down pretty much 1/2 the day. Today I notice again its offline, I can not do anything like before. Looks like it might have been broken since yesterday. I had to call support, they needed to remove the base and re-added to my account. They said it was due to an update. I'm glad they just push out updates and break the system. This will work great if I was on vacation or if my house was robbed today.

Terrible product. I will be looking into returning the product as its not reliable.  Either they are getting hacked or fail to address the issues notifying customers they broke your systems.

10 REPLIES 10
davidj77
Star
Star

Update, Still broken, Will not discover my base station now. Give you guys some Background. I am a Systems Architect in the IT field with over 10 years of experience. Its not my network, its not a power issue. Its an arlo issue and either the system broke or per them they pushed out an update and have been having issues.

24/7 system to monitor your home or business hopefully it works when you get robbed, package stolen ect because had it 3 months and 2 outages is unacceptable for my needs. 

davidj77
Star
Star

1 Hour on the phone so far. Have reset my modem, Router taken my internet down for my entire house for about 15 minutes and guess what its still broken. Tried to Discover the base station again after these steps and it does not work. The next step is to factory reset my base station. 

davidj77
Star
Star

Reset Base back to Factory now 1:23 minutes on the phone wasted so far.

RHundley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sounds like the issue I'm having with mine. I've gone so far as reseting the base. I'll also add that it won't let me log into my account on the pc that I ususally use. Something about logged in in another tab or device. It will let me log in from the phone or another browser. 

brh
Master
Master

@RHundley

You need to go into your browser on your PC and delete the browsing history.

Brian

RHundley
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've done that several times

davidj77
Star
Star

After factory reseting the base station things seem to be working again. I had to go around and get a ladder out and pull down my cameras to sync them back up. I also had to reconfigure all my cameras settings for motion sensitivty and the custom modes that I had created. All in all I wasted about another 4 hours between the 2 on the phone and 2 syncing my cameras, putting them back up, positioning them correctly then adjusting all my settings again.

My Concern that no one can answer is again I was told this was due to an arlo update and many customers were having the same issue. So if I was away on vacation who was going to spend the 4 hours to fix this ? Besides fixing it where was the Email alert to Arlo customers saying your product might have been effected by a recent update and be broken. Thats again if its an update and the system hasn't been hacked and now someones watching my cameras.

If something terrible happened whos responsible for this system not working ? Its not me as I have battery backups and even the extrnal usb hard drive incase the internet fails. Yet if my house was robbed or wife raped while I'm at work where would my video evidence be ?  The system is not reliable if your using it to protect your valubles and loved ones.

I would like a Arlo rep to respond and contact me directly. I have already started to file a BBB Complaint as well as Consumer Affairs. I will be reaching out the the Negear USA HQ monday and filing a formal complaint as well. I want me $1000 back for this faulty system that is falsy advertised. "Optional 24/7 CVR" They don't work 24/7 this is twice in 3 weeks they have been down for a day or more.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Read your Arlo terms of service. NETGEAR does not guarantee you 24/7 uptime, or anything else. If you want that, then build your own closed system and do not buy any cloud based system.

The issues were due to problems with NETGEAR's servers, and NETGEAR has been working hard to fix the issues.  Issues like this are obviously bad for their business.

I don't know why you had so much trouble. My Arlo Pro2 kit was affected also.  It's been back working fine for a few days, and I didn't need to call support or physically touch anything. All I needed to do was clear the browser cache so I could log in again.

Here's an excerpt from the terms and service, in case you can't readily find it:

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE ARLO SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. NETGEAR MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE ARLO SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT USE OF THE ARLO SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE NOR DOES NETGEAR MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE ARLO SERVICES (INCLUDING THIRD PARTY CONTENT), THAT ANY DEFECTS IN THE ARLO SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED OR THAT THE ARLO PRODUCTS OR ARLO SERVICES WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER SPECIFIC HARDWARE OR SERVICE. FURTHER, NETGEAR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE ARLO SERVICES OR THE NETGEAR SERVERS THAT PROVIDE YOU WITH DATA AND CONTENT ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. NETGEAR ALSO ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES CAUSED BY VIRUSES THAT MAY INFECT YOUR ARLO BASE STATION, COMPUTER SOFTWARE, OR OTHER HARDWARE.

YOU AGREE THAT NETGEAR IS NOT AN INSURER AND THAT NETGEAR IS NOT PROVIDING ME WITH INSURANCE OF ANY TYPE. ANY AMOUNTS THAT YOU PAY NETGEAR FOR THE ARLO SERVICE ARE NOT INSURANCE PREMIUMS AND ARE NOT RELATED TO THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY, ANYONE ELSE’S PROPERTY LOCATED IN YOUR PREMISES, OR ANY RISK OF LOSS AT YOUR PREMISES.  IF YOU WANT INSURANCE TO PROTECT AGAINST ANY RISK OF LOSS AT YOUR PREMISES, YOU WILL PURCHASE IT. IN THE EVENT OF ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY, YOU WILL NOT LOOK TO NETGEAR TO COMPENSATE YOU OR ANYONE ELSE. YOU RELEASE AND WAIVE FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR INSURER ALL SUBROGATION AND OTHER RIGHTS TO RECOVER AGAINST NETGEAR ARISING AS A RESULT OF THE PAYMENT OF ANY CLAIM FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY.

NETGEAR’S EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES DO NOT CAUSE AND CANNOT ELIMINATE OCCURRENCES OF CERTAIN EVENTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FIRES, FLOODS, BURGLARIES, ROBBERIES AND MEDICAL PROBLEMS. NETGEAR MAKES NO GUARANTY OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, THAT THE ARLO EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES PROVIDED WILL DETECT OR AVERT SUCH INCIDENTS OR THEIR CONSEQUENCES. NETGEAR DOES NOT UNDERTAKE ANY RISK THAT YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY, OR THE PERSON OR PROPERTY OF OTHERS, MAY BE SUBJECT TO INJURY OR LOSS IF SUCH AN EVENT OCCURS. THE ALLOCATION OF SUCH RISK REMAINS WITH YOU, NOT NETGEAR.

RHundley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got my system back up. 

I hung up on customer support after she got huffy when I told her that I was having difficulty understanding her directions with her thick Indian accent. 

Not certian but I believe mine locked up due to an issue now with my virus software. Kaspersky. After I re-installed Chrome browser, shutdown Kaspersky,  and was finally able to login via that browser and reseting the base station for the fifth time it finally came back online. Of course I had to sync all the cameras and set it entirely up again but its back and functional. 

To login with this PC I have to shut down Kaspersky. Something new. I've used it for over a year with no issue. 

davidj77
Star
Star

LOL they changed my subject as well.  On the website they say  24/7 CVR . If its down for 2 days thats not 24/7 is it ? Its just the fact that if they are having issues let people know. Again thats great your system came up with out having to do anything Mine did as well back on the 8th. I never had an issue logging in, only it saying the device was offline and couldn't view any cameras. I mean I do have an actual security system but that is only good at scaring away the bad guy. I got a camera system so I can catch them. Also can check in from time to time or see whos at my front door ect.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation