Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras connect to WiFi and then WiFi to Base Station? Question regarding camera range.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JLoggins
Follower
Follower

Hello. I have a question about range with Arlo Cameras that I cannot seem to find elsewhere. I currently have an Arlo Pro 2 set up with 4 cameras, but my question I think is not model specific (and I am willing to upgrade anyway). My question is with regards to Arlo camera range. My understanding is that the cameras connect to Wi-Fi and then via Wi-Fi to the base station (or smart hub). However I read something that now makes me think each camera must be within a certain range of the base station (Or smart hub) itself. This is particularly relevant as I am trying to place cameras around a decent sized property and I have set up a Linksys Velop mesh Wi-Fi system to cover ~3 acres with good Wi-Fi coverage all around. My thought was as along as each camera had a good Wi-Fi connection (and connected to the same network at the base station/smart hub), that was all I needed. However, before I expand my Arlo system, I want to make sure this will be the case. If each camera itself has to be within a range of the base station itself, this likely will not work.

Thank you for any guidance you might offer!

JL

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base unit sets up its own WiFi network for the cameras ONLY.

The base finds the internet thru the Ethernet cable to your router

Your home WiFi has no effect on the cameras

Either you have to centralize the location of the base for good signal to all cameras OR add additional bases ( which is the only way to expand coverage area.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation