Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras Battery Not Lasting Long

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Farmboy236
Aspirant
Aspirant

Regarding the battery rapidly draining issue that started recently, we do have a fix in QA being tested right now. We'll update this thread when that is released.

Any one know what’s happened to this update I’m still dealing with cameras that won’t last long

21 REPLIES 21
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Farmboy236,

Engineering is currently investigating reports of users experiencing increased battery drain. We will provide an update when we have more information.

germay0653
Aspirant
Aspirant
Experiencing that same issue. It started after only 2 recharges. 3rd and subsequent recharges last a day or two at most. Happening on all 4 cameras that i purchased in Jan, 2018.
agman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having to recharge frequently.  But now my batteries need to be replaced after being purchased in January of 2018.  They are very expensive to replace and I sure thought they would have lasted more than 6 or 7 months.  How can it be fixed so I am not spending $$100 per camera each year?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Why do you say that the batteries need to be replaced? All of mine recharge and keep on working. If they're totally dead, there's an FAQ here on how to get them in a state so they will charge again.

germay0653
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, the batteries recharge but they only last a day or two, at most, before they need recharging again.  For batteries that are only 8 months old, that's not acceptable performance!  They performed fine, lasting a few months between the 1st and 2nd recharges.  After the third recharge is when performance degraded substantially, for me at least, lasting only a couple of days before need to be recharged again.  It's a know problem that working on a solution for.

Isto
Initiate
Initiate
I have a same problem, battery last only one day even they are connected to Arlo solar charger and every day there is 100% before night! And my cameras are only 1month old. So maybe there are some firmware issue?
YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

I have two Arlo Pro cameras mounted outside. Been there for almost 2 years. Nothing has changed. The batteries used to last 6 months. Now they are dead after 1 month. What's up? 

agman
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I went through the FAQ and found how to trouble shoot the battery not charging and it worked.  You have to keep taking the battery in and out and re inserting the charger until it finally starts charging, that is if your batteries show they need to be replaced and wont charge.  

YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates on what engineering has found? Thanks. 

cwechter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same Issues- plugged in to solar panels and battery only lasts 3-4 days 

have replaced solar panel same issue- asked for refund for system that is only a few months old- Arlo says no refund only replacement? Never heard of such a thing? Paid over $500 for this headache? Still waiting for Arlo support to get back with me

YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo support has reported that engineering has a beta firmware field trial ready for next week, the first week of October 2018. I have had a case open for a few weeks and today they admitted the widespread issue and a potential fix is ready for testing. My arlo pro cameras should get the beta firmware upgrade next week as I gave them authorization to do so. 

The firmware that apparently caused the issue was pushed out to cameras the last week of July 2018. That is definitely when my issue started. 

I don't know but perhaps if you are having this issue and the timing matches you could open a case and request to be included in the field trial? Or just standby and see how it goes. 

Surfnspear
Tutor
Tutor

Well, just woke up here in the UK to a new firmware dump across 4 cameras. Luckily I had only had 1 out of the 4 have the 'go dead' issue.

We shall see......

YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

They decided to forgo the beta field test and moved straight to production. Looked good last night. This morning one camera offline, one online. Ugh...

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @YukonC8t,

Is one of your cameras still showing offline? Try opening and closing your camera battery door and see if that helps the camera. You can read more here to troubleshoot your camera showing offline: My Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, or Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free camera is offline; how can I troubles...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
To be clear, for the Pro series cameras, opening and closing the battery door by itself won't help since the battery is held in contact with the camera. Reinsert the battery to reset the camera.
amBeachy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spend more time changing the batteries than I do having security. Right now it's just an inconvenience but when I have 2 feet of snoww and need to climb a ladder this winter it's going to be riduculous!!

Is there any update on a fix for battery drain??

YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

I don't have any updates, sorry. The last upgrade I received towards the end of July killed my batteries in a few hours. I moved those cameras inside and have them plugged into wall power. I won't be able to test them again on battery until late December. 

germay0653
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's an obvious engineering design flaw and unfortunately, I don't believe there will be a solution for the short lifespan of the re-charge. Customer service leaves much to be desired too.

I was provided an RMA for one of the registered cameras I own, but when I registered the other three and requested RMAs on those...nada, zip, zilch...no further responses. I'm not buying new batteries nor will I buy the solar chargers. Lesson learned.
YukonC8t
Tutor
Tutor

Yep lesson learned. I hesitate to say it on this forum but what the heck. I replaced the 2 outdoor Arlos with another brand of cameras running on solar panels and they are doing great. 

mandm4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, is there any update to the battery life issue with Arlo Pro2?  I charged 2 identical cameras five days ago, one is ~90% charged (good), other is 22%, very bad.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap cameras around to see if the issue follows the camera or stays with the location.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation