Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Best way to set up Arlo in a large house with spotty wifi

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
impulsedx
Follower
Follower

hey All,

I am trying to set up my arlo cameras for a house.  I want cameras in the front of the house, and the back o the house, however my wifi doesnt extend to the back of the house.  So what i do now for entertainment is i have a modem in the front of the house, i run a wire from that model to the back of the house to a seprate router.  

Is it a problem if the arlo cameras are on 2 different net works?  will i be able to manage them together?

if not, How am i suppose to manage this? with wifi extenders?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The wireless cameras have nothing to do with your WiFi. They only use the connection between the base and the cameras. Since you already know there's an issue with the size of the house, the best solution is to buy a second base and position each where they can maximize the signal for specific cameras. That means some cameras will sync to one base and the rest to the second base.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@impulsedx wrote:

hey All,

I am trying to set up my arlo cameras for a house.  I want cameras in the front of the house, and the back o the house, however my wifi doesnt extend to the back of the house.  So what i do now for entertainment is i have a modem in the front of the house, i run a wire from that model to the back of the house to a seprate router.  

Is it a problem if the arlo cameras are on 2 different net works?  will i be able to manage them together?

if not, How am i suppose to manage this? with wifi extenders?

If you are taking about Arlo Wire-free cameras, your Wi-Fi doesn’t factor into it.  What you need is a base (or two) located such that the cameras have good connection to the base(s) regardless of your Wi-Fi  signal characteristics and reach.  What you need are wired network connections from the appropriate location (or locations) to your router.  The best case is to actually run Cat-5e (or better).  If you don’t have network cables in the right place and you can’t reasonably run them, you have several options.

1.  Try a power line adapter to run network signals from your router to the base location(s) through your power wires.

2.  If you have coax cables in appropriate locations, you could buy MoCA adapters and run network signals from your base locaton(s) to your router over MoCA.

3.  You could use a standard wireless network extender and have two (or more) SSIDs in your home.

4.  Your could by a mesh network router and satellites to light up your house with better Wi-Fi using a single SSID and locating satellites appropriately for connecting your Arlo bass station(s).

If you are taking about Arlo Q cameras which use WiFi directly for connections, all of these options apply for expanding your Wi-Fi to a broader area of your home.

Personally, I pull wires whenever possible and leave wireless for locations where a wire just isn’t a practical option.

My personal order of preference would be:  Run cables; install a mesh; (I’m doing both of theses...using a wired backhaul for mesh nodes); use MoCA; Install a modern Wireless Extender; and finally...use power line adapters.  But different homes may drive different priorities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation