Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Craig234
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm interested in this camera and have a couple quesitons on the batteries.

Are they rechargable? It looks like they're not but they sell one that is?

Do you have to replace an expensive battery every month or two? Another thread suggests that.

How long would a charge on the rechargeable last? How long before it would need ot be replaced? Is that the way to go because of the costs of replacing normal batteries?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cmaeras all have rechargeable battery packs. They will last as long as 6 months with minimal recording and live view. Spec life is for 5 minutes or less of these.

No way of knowing howlong the batteries will last but I imagine a few years.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cmaeras all have rechargeable battery packs. They will last as long as 6 months with minimal recording and live view. Spec life is for 5 minutes or less of these.

No way of knowing howlong the batteries will last but I imagine a few years.

Craig234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but what is 5 minutes?

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

The arlo pro's are rechargeable yes. But battery life depends on which version you buy. With the Arlo Pro 1 I got 4-5 months of battery life easily. The Arlo Pro 2 has not given me more than 1 month of battery life, and I've had to climb a ladder once a month. And I have 4 cameras. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Craig234 wrote:

Thanks, but what is 5 minutes?

As I tried to say, 5 minutes (or less) per day of live viewing and recording is what gives you spec battery life of 4-6 months.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

its a shame you say that, because there is a bug with the Arlo Pro 2 that sometimes causes 5 minute long videos when there is only a few seconds of motion. so there goes any chances of good battery life. the most recent firmware lowered it down to happening about 1 or 2 times a day which helped but still didnt eliminate the problem completely. My Arlo Pro 1's went almost a whole year and never had that situation occur. 

Craig234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Darn. I'd want Arlo Pro 2 because of 1080p, but that 5 minute recording bug sounds nasty.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the timed recordings instead of "record until motion stops". My recordings are all normal.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Mine are also all (4 cameras) normal and I have left the record until motion stops button checked.

There is no bug here, it could be a specific issue with Tony Toca's installation.

MrTonyToca
Apprentice
Apprentice

There have been full forum posts concerning the 5 minute long recording issue and Netgear actually has noted on one of their firmware release notes "Stop on motion Improvements" referring to the issue. Which I did state that update helped with the frequency of it happening down to about 1 time a day versus the 5+ times a day that it was happening but it still remains to a certain extent. Netgear also is aware of the "offline issue" again stated in one of their release notes, which again, stopped the frequency of it happening but not compelety. As mine has gone offline at least 2 times since that update. The problems occur sparringly but are a nuisance none the less. And using the "Timed recordings" is not a solution as time recording limit is 120 seconds vs. 300 seconds if motion is there. This issue never happened even once with my Arlo Pro 1 during a several month span, so its disheartening that this would happen at all on the newer version. It is happening less but when it does im sure is contributing to the poor battery life.

Details: 

Pro Base Station FW 1.9.4.0_15548, Wire-free Base Station FW 1.9.4.0_15548

• Bug fixes
  • Fixes for base station crashes
  • Stop on Motion improvements

Arlo Pro 2 Camera 1.124.1.0_15483

• Fixes for camera offline issues
  • Fix for CVR camera not stopping record stream at max duration
  • Fix for Day -> Night transition
  • Fix for activity zones when image is inverted
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies