Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi community,

I had done enough to troubleshoot my Arlo Pro 2 after the latest firmware updated and cause the wifi signal drop from 3 bars to 2 bars.

One of my camera is now lag and delay during the live view and very slow notification.

Yesterday I connected the long Cat 5 Ethernet cable from inside the house router and connected the basestation outside below the parking camera.  Wifi signal is the same.  Live view is still lag and pausing.

Tech. support said firmware does not change wifi signal.  How can it change when B.S and camera is very close.

Anyone has same issue like I do.  It is great to hear some thoughts

Arlo Pro 2 B.S + direct connected to RouterArlo Pro 2 B.S + direct connected to Router

3 bars Wifi signal before firmware updated3 bars Wifi signal before firmware updated

2 bars Wifi signal after Sept. 02 firmware updated2 bars Wifi signal after Sept. 02 firmware updated

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

One of my camera is now lag and delay during the live view and very slow notification.

Which camera has this problem?  Have you tried removing/reinserting it's batteries?

Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. Performed factory reset B.S twice = no luck

2. Remove the battery from the camera = no luck

3. B.S distance from camera is around 15-20 ft. = no luck

4. Tested by connect the Cat 5 cable and hooked up B.S outside and 6 ft. from the parking camera = no luck

5. Arlo firmware 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a  cause wifi signal drop. 

So is it latest firmware issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

So is it latest firmware issue?

It could be (though I guess it could also be coincidental issue with the base station hardware).  Maybe one of the mods can help you escalate with support.  Try sending one of them a PM using the envelope link in the upper right of the forum page.

Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did sent my complain to C. James.

They asked me to contact Tech. support.

I had enough with Tech. support because they can not resolve the issue.

I have knowledge of I.T that is why I am tire of call Tech. support.

it is better for me to do my own troubleshooting as explain on my post.

Hopefully the new firmware which fix the issue otherwise I have to live it .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

I have knowledge of I.T that is why I am tire of call Tech. support

it is better for me to do my own troubleshooting as explain on my post.

I do get that.  But if you can't get clean recordings with the base station directly underneath the camera, then I am thinking some hardware has probably failed - either one of the cameras or the base station.  If you are still covered by the warranty, you will need to go through support.

Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is confirmed that the latest firmware casued the wifi signal from 3 bars down to 2 bars.

I just got the brand Base Station and during the setup B.S need to update the latest firmware from Arlo site.

Hooked up with the camera and B.S side by side.  (Both B.S showed the 2 bars wifi signal)

The wifi signal of brand new B.S showed only 2 bars.  It showed exactly the same with other 2 camera with brand new B.S

What ashame that Arlo firmware did restrict the wifi signal.

Anyone experienced the same wifi signal drop like my.  

Hope new firmware will fix it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

The wifi signal of brand new B.S showed only 2 bars.  It showed exactly the same with other 2 camera with brand new B.S

It would be nice if they showed the actual RSSI values from the camera signal.  That would be more definitive than 1,2,3 bars.

That's not to say that users aren't reporting real issues with signal strength (lost connections, etc).  Many clearly are.  But there also have been cases in the past where the bars have been reported inconsistently - 2 bars on the app, but 3 on the web ui, etc.  Numerical RSSI are finer grained, and it would be easy to show them in the web ui when you mouse-over the bars (or in the app if you touch them).

Jimmie_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I undestand the the actual RSSI value from the camera signal. 

The Arlo Pro 2 B.S showed strong wifi signal 3 bars when view on Iphone wifi connection list.

But canot connect the B.S wifi at all.  Is there any way to connect to B.S wifi.

Both website and iphone app showed 2 bars. see the attached picture.

The indoor camera location is beside the B.S.  all 3 camera showed 2 bars wifi signal.

It was 3 bars before firmware updated on Sept. 01.

3 arlo camera.JPG

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

What router are you using?

you say it’s slow or laggy but do you have QoS with the router and if so is this device dependant on the settings.

if it does come with QoS it’s worth checking the allocation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jimmie_Arlo wrote:

But canot connect the B.S wifi at all.  Is there any way to connect to B.S wifi.

You can't.

You can see the base station's channel and signal strength with an Android app (for instance Netgear's Wifi Analytics app).  But that won't tell you the camera's signal strength (and Apple doesn't expose the right APIs for those apps, so they aren't available on your iphone).

To add on to @NewfieDrool's suggestion... if you have a PC that is connected with ethernet, you might try livestreaming from there, and see if you get different results.  That will let you know if your router's wifi is part of the puzzle here (or not).

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation