Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station re-setup after router change

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
deso
Follower
Follower

If you change internet providers, you won’t be able to re-setup the base station (BS) successfully unless you do the following in this order:

1) plug Ethernet cable from router into BS

2) plug power cable into BS and wall socket

3) wait for BS to complete boot up (solid blue light will show on BS model with single LED)

4) Insert paper clip or small nail in reset hole on back of BS and hold pressure in until blue light changes to blinking orange (10 to 20 sec)

5) use Arlo Secure app to add BS as a new device

6) use add device option to reconnect each camera also.  Need to press sync button on top of each camera for a few seconds and release.  Should see blinking blue light on face of camera.  Follow steps on app to reconnect each camera.  

I found that even though the base station was reset, all the camera names are still recognized if you want to reuse them.  When app asks for a new camera name just ignore and close out of app.  When you reopen app,  the old name for that camera is listed.

It took me several hours of reading and some trial and error to figure all this out since I couldn’t find this all in one place on the forums.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@deso wrote:

If you change internet providers, you won’t be able to re-setup the base station (BS) successfully unless you do the following in this order:

Normally you don't need to do all these steps.  

I changed routers a couple weeks ago, and all I did was reconnect the ethernet from the base stations to the new router.  Everything worked fine.  Sometimes rebooting the base stations after you do this might be needed.  But you shouldn't have to do a full reset, and re-onboard the base stations and cameras.

Dannybear
Master
Master

I believe that there is useful information provided regards the method of re-importing previous setup labels. I wonder if trying this with the base station would retain previous settings.

regards if it is necessary, having to use the web portal if the app doesn’t work is the way arlo works, isn’t it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

I believe that there is useful information provided regards the method of re-importing previous setup labels. I wonder if trying this with the base station would retain previous settings.

I think that worked because the Cloud remembered the old devices.  I don't think it preserved settings or modes, but I think it would keep the library.  Note @deso  didn't remove devices from the account (at least he didn't say he did).

@Dannybear wrote:

regards if it is necessary, having to use the web portal if the app doesn’t work is the way arlo works, isn’t it?

Normally it isn't necessary to do either if you change a base - as I said before, I just swapped out the router, and everything continued to work normally.  Since I kept the same network name/password, I didn't need to re-onboard the camera that was directly connected to my home wifi either (or reconfigure all the other wifi-connected gadgets I have).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation